Cool Looking Tire

GoldenMotor.com

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
A week ago I bought another tire because it was clear to see that my current rear tire was about to fall apart. It had been damaged when my Golden Eagle kit destroyed the rear wheel and caused the tire to rub against a bolt. That bolt gouged the new tire and ruined it. It was useable for a while because there was a Bell No-Mor-Flats inner tube inside that didn't require air.

Today the tire tread separated and the foam inner tube bulged out.

The tire I bought was a Bell Stream Liner. It is a wireless bead tire that came rolled up in a box. This one was bought at Wal-Mart. I liked the tread pattern because it looked as if my friction drive roller would grip it better than most other tires. When I got it onto the rim with a pneumatic inner tube (with a tire liner) it looked great. I really don't recall the last time I liked the look of a tire. Maybe it was my old Schwinn flat profile rear tire on my Stingray in the seventies or my first knobby tires when they were first made for bicycles (those were cool).

The foam inner tube isn't designed for tires wider than 1.95 inches so I'm using a pneumatic tube again.

This tire has a thin tan sidewall stripe. It is a 2.25" tire which is so much bigger than my 1.95" tire that I can't use my rear fender. For now I have an inner tube that is rated up to 1.95 inches. It is an extra thick tube so it might last. When I can find the correct size I'll get one. There were none at Wal-Mart.

The friction drive kit now seems to push me along much quicker on the starts. It gets up to speed faster too. This might be due to the lower inertia of the lighter inner tube or it is just getting a better grip. It also could be that it is easier to deflect the tire which uses less energy thus it spins faster. It doesn't matter. I really like this tire. I would get one for the front if I were going to keep this bike.

I went to the Bell Bike Stuff web site to look for it to include a link to it but that site isn't up right now. It was a bit spartan before so maybe they'll list all of their products when it's fixed.
Even Google couldn't locate the tire.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I got one of these tires today too. Its really a Cheng Shin (fine with me, its the biggest bicycle tire producer, and the tires are tough!) but I don't care what brand it is.

The tire was easy to mount by hand, on my Alex 1.75" wide rim. I don't use fenders, but yeah, I bet this won't work with fenders most bikes would have.

This tire has excellent cushion and traction, good handling, low weight, low price, but I am afraid if it ever flatted it might wad up and endo the bike!

I am using a 2" Super Thorn tube with Slime added. You really need to use a big, fat, thick tube with this tire.

I couldn't fit one on the back in this size because of my motor chain but I don't mind. I have a checker tread tire back there and I'm happy.

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
It's been a long time since my last visit here. I subscribed to this thread and got a new message. So I thought I'd update everyone on this tire.

IT IS CRAPPY! OK, when it is used as the tire for a friction drive it is really crappy. The inner threads fall apart due to the constant bending of the tire around the drive roller. I went through two of these very quickly. Wal-Mart accepted them and refunded my money. Similar tire destruction has happened with other tires. I hadn't read about this happening to others when they wrote about friction drive kits. I had only read about tires tread wearing out quickly.

If this tire were used for a front tire or perhaps a rear tire for a chain drive kit then it might be a good tire.

I really want to get some type of chain drive kit so I won't need to worry about breaking spokes or wearing out tires.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Do you want to sell your friction kit?

BMP is now making the friction kits with the option to add a pulley and belt system to drive a chain and a regular wheel gear similar to those sold with the Grubees.
BICYCLE ENGINE KITS FROM BIKEMOTORPARTS.COM

I like the old friction drives, and know of plenty of tires to use with them. (cheap, hard 1.5 to 1.9 industrial street tires for $10)