Chain turned red and broke

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The chain on my 212cc from clutch to JS sprocket turned brownish red a while ago, almost looks like rust but more redish and today it broke but not the master link but a couple links are missing, so it must have broke at the same time at 2 different places. Before that happened on the prior traffic light I was first in line and when I wanted to take off, the bike was stuck like I have something soft stuck between the frame and wheel. Then it worked again. NExt time I took off it broke. Also another link at another place on the same chain is completely stuff.

Now, I am not quite sure if the color changed before or after I used red colored high temp grease or if the cahin could change color from the heat of engine and clutch..

Anybody have experience with this?

What is best to use to lube the chain? I used 3in1 but thats always a huge mess and I would like to have something I wouldnt have to apply all the time.

Im lucky that the master link is still there because thats the last one I have.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
the clue to it breaking is when it wouldnt take off because it felt bound up......somethings binding and broke the chain I'd wager

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
the clue to it breaking is when it wouldnt take off because it felt bound up......somethings binding and broke the chain I'd wager
I'm with him, something is causing this. I seriously doubt it got hot enough to affect the strength of the chain. If, by some insane chance it did, You need to redesign the setup to handle the loads.
I'd guess the color was the inner bushing material left from the chain wearing so badly it caused a failure. Use good quality chain next time and see if it helps?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
There are wax-like chain lubes available, but even with those I would recommend re-applying every so often. IMHO, when it comes to using a torque monster like the 212cc Predator, certain components are going to need regular maintenance, perhaps even more so than bikes with less powerful engines. If I were you, I wouldn't hope to find a product that needs to be applied less often in your situation. Let me put it this way. I'm in the process of building a bike with a 98cc flathead engine with a max torque rating of 2.8 ft lbs. From what I know, that's less than half what the 212cc puts out. And I plan on performing weekly maintenance on it. In fact, I've made a list that includes everything from checking oil to chain lubrication to checking tire pressure. Some of these things may not need to be done weekly, but I plan to do them anyway. Why? Because I want to take proper care of my bike so that it lasts a long time and won't break down on me. Reliable and maintenance free are not always the same thing. I would not like to think that any motorized bicycle should be thought of by anyone as maintenance free, for the chief reason that no bicycle was designed to me motorized. And you are running one of if not THE most powerful engines that can even possibly be stuffed into a bicycle frame. I think your thoughts on the matter should be geared towards performing MORE maintenance on your bike, not less. Just my $0.02.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah you are absolutely right. By next week the only 2 things that will still be from a bicycle will be the frame (even though its already modified) and the pedals. But you are absolutely right. I spent so much time dealing with the clutch and the vibrations and I guess I just wanted to enjoy it finally and I am using it already daily for work too.

After I posted the question I was reading for a while on motorcycle websites and there are some interesting recommendations. I will see what I can find.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You need to lube the chain more often since it absorbed all the heat Tom the clutch.

I noticed you don't have an exhaust pipe on the engine, and no back brake. Do you plan on adding them?

Ccc

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Exhaust yes, but probably just an open pipe couple inches downwards. Love the sound right now! Rear brake not really planned. The one from AGK is extremely powerful. Sometimes when I brake hard to try it, it feels like it will brake my fork in 2 pieces.