Texas law for engine assisted bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can't imagine you would be high up on any cops To Do list unless you're just acting like a maniac going down the road or spewing smoke out of your exhaust pipe. I would keep my motorized bicycle as quiet as possible as well in Texas. Leave the stock muffler on it. LOL
What's interesting is Florida's law is almost identical to Texas, but the authorities there have taken a totally different tact. They're harassing the crap out of motorized bicycle riders.

Anyone that follows my advise and uses the self propelled argument gets their ticket dismissed. Every other defense has been a loser.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What's interesting is Florida's law is almost identical to Texas, but the authorities there have taken a totally different tact. They're harassing the crap out of motorized bicycle riders.

Anyone that follows my advise and uses the self propelled argument gets their ticket dismissed. Every other defense has been a loser.
I don't get it either. Electric bikes are totally ignored in every state, yet can kill you just as easily as a gas bike could. Only a much quieter death. LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't get it either. Electric bikes are totally ignored in every state, yet can kill you just as easily as a gas bike could. Only a much quieter death. LOL
There's a federal law that coerces states to accept ebikes. It says if you use federal money to build a hike/bike trail, you have to allow certain vehicles use of it, ebikes being one of them. Segway is another, plus all kinds of other personal mobility vehicles.

Gas powered motorized bicycles aren't included in the federal law.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There's a federal law that coerces states to accept ebikes. It says if you use federal money to build a hike/bike trail, you have to allow certain vehicles use of it, ebikes being one of them. Segway is another, plus all kinds of other personal mobility vehicles.

Gas powered motorized bicycles aren't included in the federal law.
LOL I should have known it was something like that. My bike is half electric but nobody even knows. All the hear and see is the gas motor between my legs. Both have their positives and negatives but I don't see why gas is bashed so much and electric is applauded. Either one gets your fat azz out of a car and onto something much more efficient and Eco-friendly.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I believe that in Government speak it's called environmentally friendly. There is this perceived notion that small gas engines are gross polluters and electric bikes are not. There also seems to be a belief that electric bikes are slow and therefore "safe" for the public to use. Of course electric bikes are being built every day that will far out accelerate most gas bikes.
That is most certainly why Canada has encouraged them with various laws.

Of course they and the public who buy into this seem to forget that while you can see the exhaust from the gas motor you can't see the smoke from the gas and coal fired electric plants hundreds or thousands of miles away or the shipping of the spent fuel rods from the nuclear plant.
The fish notice their water way is blocked by a hydro electric dam though and the usually crummy fish ladder provided so they can get past the dam to spawn. It is green power though in Government speak and that is all that matters when they are selling a bill of goods to the uninformed voters.

My thoughts anyway.

Steve.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I believe that in Government speak it's called environmentally friendly. There is this perceived notion that small gas engines are gross polluters and electric bikes are not. There also seems to be a belief that electric bikes are slow and therefore "safe" for the public to use. Of course electric bikes are being built every day that will far out accelerate most gas bikes.
That is most certainly why Canada has encouraged them with various laws.

Of course they and the public who buy into this seem to forget that while you can see the exhaust from the gas motor you can't see the smoke from the gas and coal fired electric plants hundreds or thousands of miles away or the shipping of the spent fuel rods from the nuclear plant.
The fish notice their water way is blocked by a hydro electric dam though and the usually crummy fish ladder provided so they can get past the dam to spawn. It is green power though in Government speak and that is all that matters when they are selling a bill of goods to the uninformed voters.

My thoughts anyway.

Steve.
On a fully charged battery, my Crystalyte electric hub puts out double the horsepower of my HS49 motor and weighs 30% less. I'm glad the gov. is happy about electric transportation cause my next bicycle is gonna have an electric motorcycle engine mounted in the triangle of the frame. It weighs the same as a 97cc gas engine and has 6HP (max. continuous) with a 19HP maximum burst. Cars in my rear view mirror at a stoplight are not gonna now what the h3ll is going on when that light turns green and I disappear in complete silence. LMAO

Last edited: