Hello, New to bike building from texas

GoldenMotor.com

Holyman92

Mar 25, 2017
TX
So I have had this Schwinn Jesse James WCC frame sitting in my back yard after a hurricane a while back (Just showed up there when we got back from evacuation.)

Anywho, I been wanting to motorize it for a while and finally settled on the bullet train 66/80cc engine solely for the electric start. Truth be told, totally stock this thing kinda kinda blows. Maxed it out at 28.5 mph (have a digital speedo/odo.) It starts and rides great and i have more plans for this frame to include ammo can saddle bags, a custom made 2-2.5 gal. Coffin gas tank, and a few more personal touches to come... for now, here's my project

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, if you've read some of the posts on the forum the speed will get better. After the engine gets broken in you'll see a difference. Most people see a increase after a couple of tanks of fuel, even with no increase it will be fun.

Holyman92

Mar 25, 2017
TX
Welcome to the forum, if you've read some of the posts on the forum the speed will get better. After the engine gets broken in you'll see a difference. Most people see a increase after a couple of tanks of fuel, even with no increase it will be fun.
I'm loving it as is, but the speed bums me put a little, however that aside... it's great, fires right up, even the pull start only takes half the length to start it. And it gets me going at a good cruising speed without a full open throttle so it's great.

Just modified the air filter to put a pod filter and it didn't seem to mind one bit. Trying to figure out if I can make a gearbox for it atm... might be an obstacle but with 24hr access to a machine shop I should be able to make something happen... or not, we'll see

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So I have had this Schwinn Jesse James WCC

Truth be told, totally stock this thing kinda kinda blows.

Maxed it out at 28.5 mph (have a digital speedo/odo.) It starts and rides great
You have a 44? tooth sprocket on a small wheel.
The 44 is for a 26" wheel so you are under greared.

What is the measured diameter of your back wheel?
Probably should be a 36 toother.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I thought the same thing, but without pedals its probably best to have good low end, at least I don't see any pedals.

Holyman92

Mar 25, 2017
TX
.wee.
I thought the same thing, but without pedals its probably best to have good low end, at least I don't see any pedals.
Nope no pedals, and I was thinking about a 36 tooth but there's this batch of a over pass I gotta cross to get to work and it goes like 10 mph up it so I think ima keep it for now

On the subject of no pedals...
I just welded up some feet rest and welded them to the frame since I burned my boots on the engine

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you want to increase the low end torque you can build your own exhaust pipe, myself and others here have seen noticeable speed gains with a custom pipe. mine worked out best with a head pipe at 16", experimenting will determine what works best for you. At the top of the page do a search of "expansion chamber" and you will find a lot of articles on the subject.

Holyman92

Mar 25, 2017
TX
If you want to increase the low end torque you can build your own exhaust pipe, myself and others here have seen noticeable speed gains with a custom pipe. mine worked out best with a head pipe at 16", experimenting will determine what works best for you. At the top of the page do a search of "expansion chamber" and you will find a lot of articles on the subject.
I'm actually working on a glass pack muffler to make it quieter ima experiment with a wide pipe throttled down to keep some back pressure, vs a straight pipe with holes and then a straight pipe with bends and holes... I have been reading up on them however I can't find anything definitive about SS steel wool vs fiber glass and at that I can't find anything about what kind of steel wool to use because at my job we sell different "grits", not really sure what to call it. But yea.

mike carter 2

Nov 23, 2011
west virgina
hi,back in the 70s, when everyone raced 2 strokes,we made our own silensers.most were made from beer cans with unsoaped steel wool inside.worked great but it stops up and would need to replase it every so often.i made a silencer for my china girl bike.i used stainless steel scrubbies,works great.you just need to pack it a little tighter than you think it should be