2016 EXCELSIOR Board Tracker Flat Head Build

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Wow! What a nice machine. Looks great.

I was hoping the master of the flathead would chime in, thanks for the kind words. A member of your family has chimed in on IG with some input, was trying to be conservative on the motor but things starting pop up on the computer saying buy me...you want to go fast... You want the hp...now I am getting stupid... May need an intervention

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It's been a little slow on the build, with being sick and still going to work I have not felt like working on the bike. Today was a day to spend some time on it since I may have kicked that sickness out. Started on the exhaust, so far so good. Have not welded in more than 6 months so I played a little with the Tig, it was not very rewarding that's for sure. Got to practice more often. Have this sweet motor mount plate that needed to be modified so I have chain adjustment, worked out well after relocating some mounting holes.

Waiting for parts to arrive, today the flywheel showed up, little-lite-simple and made for a 3 hp Briggs...should work out well. Have to relocate the coil since the wheel is much smaller. Got lots of things for this bike, should be different that's for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I spent the day working on the bike, got some key items done. Made a pulley for the rope start, welded the intake and exhaust, checked clearance with the new head, worked on the ignition and timing with the new bracket, sorted out some wheel designs. It was a productive day... Flat Head Fever!!!

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Silver Bear, it starts out as round tubing cut to size, I then use a hole saw for the backing plate material... I machine that part to fit the round tubing and then tack weld it on the inside. Put on the lathe and finish it up...2 hours later. It's a long process and I almost gave up today on this one. I will still need to cut a grove for the rope to attach on.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
It's progressing beautifully. Proportions & stance are really nice. Mounting to twin tube frame greatly simplifies and strengthens both engine & bottom bracket attachment while balancing both perfectly. Watching & popping corn. Rick C.