Handlebar Grips

GoldenMotor.com

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
Can anybody recommend a parts source that sells brown handlebar grips for the left side and a brown throttle twist grip for the right side?

I have a Huffy Cruiser Deluxe model that has brown painted rims and cream balloon tires. Seat is also a 2 tone cream and brown. Black grips just don't look good. Need a retro brown color if possible. Am trying to maintain the vintage look.

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
Hello Gooseneck,

I never thought of looking on Amazon. Many of those styles will be perfect to complete my retro build.

Thanks........much appreciated:)

Kevin

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Tom, Those look great, but how did you address the throttle side?

I was thinking maybe getting a set in 1" so you could use the 7/8" on the non-throttle side and the 1" on the throttle side?
Brass,
It was simple. I removed the grip that came on the twist grip throttle and replaced it with the stitched leather one. The grips will come off of the plastic barrel of the throttle just like a handlebar.

Actually those grips are standard equipment on the Nirve Switchblade.

Tom

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
Brass,
It was simple. I removed the grip that came on the twist grip throttle and replaced it with the stitched leather one. The grips will come off of the plastic barrel of the throttle just like a handlebar.

Actually those grips are standard equipment on the Nirve Switchblade.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I think I wasn't clear... but you may have answered it anyways. :)

What I meant was on typical motorcycle grips...the throttle side has a slightly larger ID than the non-throttle side. Hence bicycle grips have both grips at the same ID size... whereas Motorcycle grips have one at 7/8" and the other at 1" (or thereabouts)... I suppose it can be forced on...and it sounds like that's what you did?

Thanks,

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Tom, I think I wasn't clear... but you may have answered it anyways. :)

What I meant was on typical motorcycle grips...the throttle side has a slightly larger ID than the non-throttle side. Hence bicycle grips have both grips at the same ID size... whereas Motorcycle grips have one at 7/8" and the other at 1" (or thereabouts)... I suppose it can be forced on...and it sounds like that's what you did?

Thanks,
You're right, Brass. Most grips are soft and pliable enough to fit over the throttle side.

Add a little heat, either from a hair dryer or a soak in hot water and they can be forced on. Some folks use a little WD-40, some dish soap and some just brute force.

Tom

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
You're right, Brass. Most grips are soft and pliable enough to fit over the throttle side.

Add a little heat, either from a hair dryer or a soak in hot water and they can be forced on. Some folks use a little WD-40, some dish soap and some just brute force.

Tom
A little WD-40 or some Marvel's Mystery Oil will do the trick.

patrickwise

Nov 3, 2021
To remove bike handlebar grips, you can use the adjustable wrench method. When removing the handlebar grips, use the adjustable wrench to push the grip to the outside. Start from the left side of the gap, then accelerate the push towards the grip to move it forward. Do it with force until the rubberized grip will come out in the handlebar. Do the movement several times until the grip will be push towards the outside until it comes out from the handlebar.