Step-by-Step DIY Rectifier Instructions

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got the mini-gen from wonderful creations. Sure it costs more, but its less work than building a circuit. I already had my lighting circuit rectified, I just didnt build the circuit with the resistors and capacitors. So all I had to do was take the circuit from the light, disconnect it from the white wire, and connect it to the output wire from the mini-gen. It works perfectly, and I am very pleased that I do again have a working light, and this time it will run without killing the engine at idle.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
bigbutterbean, did you ever get that multimeter? Resistors and capacitors aren't really that difficult, and I think leaving them out is a large part of why it never worked right for you.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
bigbutterbean, did you ever get that multimeter? Resistors and capacitors aren't really that difficult, and I think leaving them out is a large part of why it never worked right for you.
Doesnt really matter now anyway, I got the mini-gen and the light is working fine. No I didnt get the meter. I removed the white wire from the mag and connected it to the output wire of the mini-gen. It's actually working great, so I'm not worried about the white wire at all anymore. I did install the rectifier on the wire going to the headlight. All my other lights run on batteries, the tail light and side warning lights on AAA batteries and the brake light on the 7.2v nicad that was originally to be used for the headlight. Since the brake light isnt on all the time and doesnt consume battery power very quickly, I will be wall charging the nicad. I have it connected to the brake light wires with male/female connectors for quick disconnect when I need to charge it. I have the battery held to the side of my luggage rack with a few sections of twist wire. My lighting system is complete, except for the 7.2v bulb I am waiting for to install in the brake light. That should be here in the A.M, so its all good.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
It works! I rode to work today and the engine never stalled and even started up with the light on! I'm pretty happy it was so simple to make and it's working so well!

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
It works! I rode to work today and the engine never stalled and even started up with the light on! I'm pretty happy it was so simple to make and it's working so well!
Awesome, congrats! That's always great to hear. I think the biggest thing is using low-wattage LEDs. I know lights on vs lights off for me barely even effects idle speed at all, it's mostly a matter of the cutoff point where it either does or doesn't have enough power for a spark left over.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
FYI, if you're charging a battery you don't need the 'smoothing capacitors' as the battery will absorb the sine wave voltage spikes produced by the White Wire. But if you run lights only, the caps are nessisary to eliminate pulsing. This trick also works for converting AC to DC if you use a friction drive generator. Some gennies have 12v output (mine does). The H pole is Headlight, 12v+, the T pole is Taillight, 6v+, and ground is negative. Both poles are AC current so a rectifier is needed for battery charging & LEDs. Incandesent bulbs (wire filiment) don't care if AC or DC, and a rectifier isn't needed for them.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
yeah this works great, been using it year and a half now. works great with a modded coil.

charges 12v 4800ah lithium, runs lights, charges phones, used to run the amp 2.1 computer speakers, u know the good ol logitech. built into my side-car for awhile.
i was heading out to the garage just now, ill click some pics.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Ok , time for some results.
I have 2 very similarly equipped gas bikes.
Both bikes are running 6 volt systems . Panasonic headlights and LED tails.
Same switches control the electrical system on both bikes.
Both bikes are running UB6130 6V/13AH battery's from Radio shack.
Bike #1 runs the 6 volt generator and 6 volt mini charger from Wonderful Creations.
A good system with no faults so far ( 100 + miles ) $49... Nice guy , good customer relations.... Parts fit as advertised and were a no - brain'r to install .

Bike #2 is running the DIY rectifier from the white wire....
Works great , have had zero issues , was fun to build, $8.99 from Radio Shack, And a little elbow grease.
Bike #2 has around 50+ miles on the clock as we speak.
So far I have not had any charge problems with either bike. I've had both machines on extended night runs ( 3+ hours ) and have always maintained a good usable charge.
( no dimming ).
My conclusions are:
If you can solder , and enjoy building SMALL parts, save some money and build the DIY.

If you are uncomfortable with the above mentioned tasks run the Wonderful Creations kit.

Both work as advertised.......

A side note :

The Wonderful Creations kit is available in a 12 volt format . A bit more $$$ though.....
An advantage ?
Depends on your needs and lighting system....

Last edited:

Dead66

May 11, 2016
Pawleys Island
Hmmm. Unfortunately I can not read schematics and the original pictures have been removed from the links.

Anybody out there that can help If I want to build one of these?