What Are Your Garden Tricks?

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Felt like early October here today. Explains why I am seeing migrant hummingbirds.
First chili pepper is fruiting. should have had more sooner but the dang squirrels kept digging up my seed beds. Deer have not been a problem since the subdivision got built. Looks like some turkeys are roosting in the Norway Pines. Hens by the shape of their droppings.

Tom

Reactions: curtisfox

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Sort of self-explanatory for those hop heads?

I have an old Farmer’s Almanac and it mentioned making hops tea for health benefits. I would probably just use it as finishing hop in a wort than has 10 minutes left to boil for an Ale fragrance.

The store-bought hops, at the homer brewers place, has the pellets that are way stronger and they boil the full hour or whatever the recipe says. That is the flavor, the bittering bite, to offset the malt flavor in a balance for nice sipping.

Maybe a pint and a half of hops cone flowers in the harvest. You need lots more for anything to add flavor. The ambiance of the fragrance is all that this harvest can help with.

MT

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Funny you posted in this thread, I just picked and ate my last two peppers from our garden. I have a couple of bell peppers about the size of grapes that probably won’t mature before it gets too cold, everything else has been cleared. I stuck a cutting from the old fig tree at moms old home place in the garden along the side inside of the fence, it is now over 6 feet tall in one season. It’s taller than the other fig tree that is about 15 feet away outside of the garden, my neighbor if a avid gardener with all kinds of plants, she said my fig tree was “happy” where it’s at.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had some garlic bulbs that I have waited a little too long and they sprouted sitting in the kitchen.

I separated some to plant in a half wine barrel planter.

This Winter they are doing well.

5 of these I saw with green tops growing so far a foot tall.

There seems to be one of several that I expect to also pierce the soil surface eventually.

I recently had seen the little green nub, but not sure if it may be some other volunteer.

Not sure if buying from nursery is the only way to go, or can stuff from unused food in the kitchen also work.

I suppose it could be a hybrid that will not do well after it is sold in the supermarket.

My sage and thyme plants I think need to be removed and soil changed. Too many weeds in the thyme intertwined and something likes eating the sage.

The heavy rain and colder time of year now has the chive not looking great. Maybe I can take some of it as it is grown so big. I will get a small container and put with now some of my other plants in my sun room. Those being a Chinese Money Plant and the American Baby Rubber Plant that are supposed to not be kept below 50-degree F.

I also have some succulent plants that I would just like to keep inside. Mostly I think they can be outdoors, but strong wind could be a problem for ones that have a large wind face.

You must know not to leave stuff not tied down when the strong winds hit.

MT

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon