4 stroke Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Look what I got from the local craigslist. It is a metal bicycle headlight, fairly vintage looking. It says it was "Produced for Bike-Pak of America in the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong". I'm guessing its from the 80's or early 90's. The internal switch parts are broken, but I plan on using an external switch and battery anyways. This light has two bulbs for high and low beams I guess. I might convert it to a more powerful bulb. Well I thought it was cool and for $10 I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Received my Sportsman Sprocket adapter today, actually Monday since I missed the delivery. It is definitely a beautiful piece of engineering, very strongly built too. (^)

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
hey brother, looking forward to seeing how that frame comes together, it is looking good so far. been posting over on indian 1911, lots of good info on engine mods and the like. I am finding that you can dump an easy grand into these engines and go way too fast...it is scary, tempting....things that make you go hmmmmm

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
I just took the frame and fork to a bike shop yesterday. Got a headset installed and fork mounted for just 6 bucks! I am now looking at what I can afford to get for it next. I saw Silverbear was able to put fat franks on his panther so I messaged him about the size of wheels he used. I'm hoping I can fit them on my bike too.

Edit: I noticed on your bike your monark forks have a metal cover, and mine doesn't. Where did you get it?

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Here is a small update. Build goes pretty slowly having to get one part at a time. Took over a month to get these alloy wheels from worksman cycles, they ran out of supplies then had to build them. Received the beautiful panther tank from Pat, lay back seat post on the way. Also have some Fat Franks in creme color that I will put on it. Quenton sent me a flex exhaust which should bring the motor to life. I'll probably add a upgrade carb from AGK too.

Here is a pic of a test fit of some parts.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Looking good so far. Are you going with the kit mount?Just a tip.. I would get an angled fuel petcock its a tight fit with the straight one.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Frustrating waiting for stuff to come, isn't it? The flex pipe will do a lot to perk up the motor and improve the sound. I'll be interested to hear about the carb upgrade. Careful of dimensions of everything regarding the carb. There is so little room once the engine is in place I trimmed the top of the choke lever in order to clear the straight bar above the engine. It makes a tight fit, but a nice one. Keep the photos coming. All of the waiting will be worth it. My panther with the same engine, and Fat Franks is a great ride.
SB

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the interest guys. Chainmaker, as far as the engine mount goes I only have the stock one, I was thinking of using a metal epoxy to make it hug the frame. Do you have a source or pic of the angled petcock?

Silverbear, I forgot about the tight fit, guess I'll stick with the stock carb and see how tight it is first.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
No I dont have a link but you should be able to find one with a search. Im going to try and shoehorn 5hp briggs that Ive been porting and doing some performance mods on into My panther this winter(should be interesting)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
No I dont have a link but you should be able to find one with a search. Im going to try and shoehorn 5hp briggs that Ive been porting and doing some performance mods on into My panther this winter(should be interesting)
I'll look forward to the build thread and photos. I've been thinking about either a panther or DX with the 98cc Sachs, wondering if it would fit.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Whats going on with this bike ? You havnt been on the forum for a while. Probabally out cruising the desert. Post some pics how the bike finished.