Riding in rain? (Time sensitive)

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I am going to ride my motorized bike to work tomorrow, are there any risks in riding in the rain? I need to know ASAP. Also, I have been having a problem with the chain where at some points it is tight and some it is loose. It moves on the bike from tight to loose back and forth while I am riding. Chain tensioner is as tight as possible. The bike is stock HT, with all of the gaskets and things.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
If you don't have a good seal where the wires enter the engine casing, water can easily get in and short out and ruin the magneto coil. I learned that the hard way. As for the chain, it sounds like your sprocket is off-center.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
Just tightened sprocket, seems fine. Put some electrical tape over where wires exit engine. Should do.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Just tightened sprocket, seems fine. Put some electrical tape over where wires exit engine. Should do.
Tightening the sprocket won't necessarily fix your issue, you need to make sure it is centered on the wheel, I would also suggest getting a hub adapter unless you're running 12 gauge spokes.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a little loose/tight thing isn't bad, just be sure there is still a bit of slack at the tightest spot

clear nail polish over the seam of the mag cover is said to help keep it dry inside

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I don't wanna buy one of those sprocket adapter things because its 65 bucks and cash is tight. I gotta put some loctite on all the bolts tomorrow, I am getting tired of tightening them all the time.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Riding in the rain is okay, just wear a frog suit and put all your wires in plastic conduit.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here in the desert riding in the rain is one of my favorite things to do. RTV silicone is your best friend to keep that mag nice and dry.

I seal my mag cover and where the wires enters the cover. I've had the entire motor up to the cylinder under water crossing and so far so good.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Desert and rain? Whaaaa? Arizona? With rain? Mind blown.
Not just rain but Snow in Arizona, it's snowing up in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon right now.

Snow Bowl, the Flagstaff ski resort has extended the ski session to May 5th! It helps when you can make your own snow if needed but it really hasn't been ;-}

Though it's 'spring hot' 85-95F right now down here in Phoenix the Monsoon will be here in 2-3 months and fill all the water sheds as this year is predicted to be the 'end of the drought' in the Desert SW.

We get 'weather' here, but after ~50 years in this ~20 mile radius I have never been hit with any weather or other natural disaster damage.
In short I found a safe comfortable place and staying here.

I do have to wonder about the sanity of those that want to make a HOME in a place known for catastrophic events...
Suffer one..
And then rebuild in the same place!