Motorized Bike Build-Off!!

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
part of the reason so many folks struggle with these is that craftsmanship is no longer valued in the facetwit culture - social media only seems to value artificial excitement caused by some kind of fast, three-legged race rather than the (possibly) year long struggle to get something just right

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Id do this but two things 1 the budget is crazy if you are going to do that it needs to be much higher 2 the timing I tend to stay on a tight budget most times so on personal builds they take time. Im just getting started on one right now and it is going to be around 1300$ to finish this bike. One other thing I refuse to build a cheap bike because in most cheap means not safe and with a low budget no one can do the things to a bike that needs to be done to make it safe.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well there are build then there are builds. I guess one has to qualify what a build is.
I was by the local pawn shop today and there were plenty of decent(some quality) bikes in the $35/50 range cheaper at the thrift store. Is a build only using new stuff? Only high HP and fast? Gotta look a certain way?
I bet a pretty good build could happen if one was a scrounger and hit a lot of flea markets/yard sales(Scratch Builder does). These places are loaded with bikes, engines on power equipment and so forth. Instead of shopping the net, its the neighborhood. I built a weedeater FD from one I found leaning against a dumpster Doubt I had $75 in a running bike.

I think this is a cool idea somebody lay the parameters.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Cannonball2 I agree with you 100% but that said where I live in Chicago good deals ( at least what I think is a good deal ) almost never come by. if I just went with parts I have laying around my house I could probley do a cool build but Id never be satisfied with the build for many reasons.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Let's do a top speed build!
In the go kart forum I was on, Everyone was given an entire year. They needed to show a basic parts pile in the beginning, then start building.

Last edited:

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
LOOOOOOL
You'd have to do a drag race at P.I.R., Portland international raceway. I'd love to race something there...

Yeah. Top speed bikes would be illegal pretty much everywhere. Necro here doesn't care, and neither do the police, but hey.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Here's an idea I had for this sort of thing. Two or more teams start with the exact same kits and base bike. The event takes place over a weekend race. The teams have, say, 10 hours to build a bike up. Then the next day they race them. Or you could allow less time to build and race the same day.

just a thought

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Or we could call these threads by quarter. 2017q1. I may start a new build tomorrow and have it done by the quarter. 2-4 good days. Maybe this one will be in the 2017Q2

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A build off with a $200 parts budget?

Nice ploy, get a few good builders to build you something on a $200 budget just to win your competition, and then offer them $200 to buy it from them, hehehe, ain't gonna work on me pal, even if you lived next door, I don't build scrap bikes ;-}

I do like to see what other high-end builders are doing.
I have a fine appreciation for craftsmanship and quality.

Most of my builds are directed to what is best for the customers needs and budget, but I do have my 'wild hair build' moments like right now...

The Cubs won the WS and here in town for Spring Training so I have already started on a killer custom Cubs tribute bike.

I figure I can move that pretty easy just pedaling around the line of fans waiting to get into the training stadium ;-}

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
lets up the budget to about 1200.
A cool build is a cool build no matter how you did it or what it cost you.
I just find limiting funds leads to more junk builds with questionable parts.

If we want to attach a $ amount as a measurement, I think just to enter a bike you have to be able to Sale It for at least $550 right now.
If you built it for $20 cool, nice profit ;-}

The way I figure it if you can't built a nice safe bike you can get $550 for, it won't stand much of a chance, which comes to the other end of the $ scale...
It can't be worth more than $2500 either.

That puts a cap on what guys like me can enter ;-}

That's a pretty broad range, just without the junkers at the bottom and the superbikes at the top.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Let's do it. I have access to a lot of good equipment and the help of very knowledgeable people. There is one mill guy here that custom built a few bicycles- cf frames, fglass, etc. I'll post a pic one of these days.

Buildings are an opportunity to make new parts and solutions. I can see bringing a new 212 engine mount/2sp jackshaft product to market.