Sound Deadening Procedure, Test, Results

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse Marshall

Jan 31, 2017
New York
So with the goal if making the 2 stroke motor quiet as possible ill be doing some sound reduction mods. First one was stuffing just a little bit of fiber glass in the muffler and that worked to reduce the sound significantly. Next I have this plastic sound dampening material for the clutch an I'll let you know how that goes. I often search google for results of mods on these motors so this may be a source for people in the future so please feel free to share your ideas on this subject here and post links to other threads on similar subjects.

Feb 2, 2017
California
You're gonna have to prove it with one of those decimal meter reading thingy. But yes, keep us up to date with your experimentations as I want to find a way to quiet my beast as well.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Good suggestion for the gear noise, I have to try it.

A lot of noise comes from the intake. Making a covered filter box quiets it down.

Short lengths of high heat silicone tube shoved between every second cylinder fin will get rid of a lot of the "ping". A long length of that silicone hose off the muffler tailpipe will quiet most of the exhaust noise.

I tried corplast (voting sign material) panels on either side of the motor and it really quieted it down, as well as hid the motor.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I've seen motorcycle using the high heat silicone between fins on the cylinder, was wondering what it was for.