Thruster/Fixie hub adapter? Newb needs help

GoldenMotor.com

CuddlyBurrito

Aug 25, 2016
Denton, TX
Hello all my first post,

I bought an old magna Fixd. Which is basically the thruster from Walmart which looks like it has been pretty popular.

Anyways I just got done installing my first motor kit on this bike and it went well, but after a couple days of riding with different mounting methods on the rear spocket I need to get a hub adapter so I don't have to use the rag joint, which I will if all else fails. My question is the hub on the Fixie is not all the same diameter it tapers starting out larger by the spokes and gets smaller towards the center of the hub. Is there a hub adapter that will work with this or do I need to start rigging up that rag joint?

Btw if you need to know how I got here I originally mounted to the fixed sprocket which is a bad idea because it doesn't matter if you use the lock ring, go under the fixed spocket weld it to the hub there is not enough metal for the tack weld to last.

Please help me motor bike gods!

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Is it true fixie or is it a single speed with freewheel? If it's a fixie, junk the freakin rear wheel! No body looks cool holding their feet up while yer pedals spin like mad, also, they could really hurt you. The freewheel was invented over a hundred years ago, to eliminate those problems. Get a quality rear wheel and order the hub adapter and sprocket from Manic Mechanic. Gorge also has adapters, that will allow you to use the wheel you've got (if you really must).

Do not cheap out, there's a good reason why the MM pushes a hondo, and gasbike has a knock off for like 50.

CuddlyBurrito

Aug 25, 2016
Denton, TX
I figured this thread was worthless without pics. my next questions should be since I effed up my hub by trying to tac weld it. I know i'm an idiot .bf.

Is it true fixie or is it a single speed with freewheel? If it's a fixie, junk the freakin rear wheel! No body looks cool holding their feet up while yer pedals spin like mad, also, they could really hurt you.
It was a flip flop hub before i butchered it.

What rear hub should I replace this with? is there a good option that you can directly mount the sprocket to the hub?

Another dumb question are all hubs the same size like width? I think it might be obvious that there are more sizes but how so i know what will be compatible with my bike?

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Step one: huck that wheel
Step two: visit www.mbrebel.com or www.custommoteredbicycles.com
Step three: select wheel.

Lynn builds great custom wheels, with 11g spokes. Drop her a line, she'll help you out. Once you figure out what you want, order a hub adapter from Manic Mechanic. It really is that easy.

But to answer your qyestion, yes, hubs come in a huge variety of dimensions, dependant upon as much whimsy as engineering. Call Lynn, she ain't scared to take a set of calipers to her products, while she's on the phone with you. She's a real friendly Wisconsinite, she'll get you what you need.

Last edited: