Townie with Bafang BBS02

GoldenMotor.com

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Here's my Electra Townie that I recently made electric
Bafang BBS02 48V 750 mid drive motor and 15.2 Ah battery 18650-20R

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=134

It works just as planned, up to 9 levels of pedal assist and 7 gears in back keep it moving fast over and up any road. I've been riding it for a little over a week and it's great. I get 33-35 miles from a full charge and I expect that will go up as I get more used to using the gears to increase efficiency. The motor will keep me moving good over most terrain in top (7th) gear so at first I forgot about using the gears to climb with less strain/drain on the battery. The motor works most efficiently at the higher rmp range so going up hills is a breeze using the right gears.

I added a new front wheel to use Avid BB7 disc brake. Only thing I need now is a nice double kickstand and probably getting Schawalbe Fat Frank tires.

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I glued the mahogany battery box with band clamps in frame and then added aluminum plate to the bottom to run battery and control wiring into the box. Made side plate covers attached to the box using bolts and threaded inserts in the wood frame. I rounded the wood and stained and finished the box. I have a smart phone holder held on the flat box top that runs a few speed and bike computer apps, The Bafang LED motor display and controls are all on the handlebars. I've added cree LED head and tail lights since taking the pictures.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks guys. I'm loving the bike. The software has it limited to 30 mph, I can trick it by telling the controll it's using a smaller wheel but that throws off the displayed speed and distance. I don't think it would go too much faster but I'm happy with the way it is now, plenty of speed and hill climbing ability for me.

*In the interest of full disclosure I used to go by the username CoolCruiser on here. I'm no longer building gas bikes and wanted a username that fits my new direction. I couldn't see a way to change my username so I created this new name/account.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As an eBike rider I can totally appreciate the term, Silent Rider. 30 mph gets the job done, and doesn't attract to much official attention.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
looking good, i am a big time electra fan. i bought the trek pure which is a townie knock off only because their was not electra dealer on island, enjoy and welcome to the electric side of motorized bicycles. i think you are going to enjoy it

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
Beautiful ride! Very sleek and hard to notice that it's motorized (or electrified) at all. I like the small touch of the phone holder on top of the battery box. Do your aluminum sides have any kind of gasket to keep water out of the box?

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Do your aluminum sides have any kind of gasket to keep water out of the box?

Only one side comes off for charging, the rest of the box is sealed with silicon. I just bought a silicon pastry rolling sheet that I'm going to adhere as a gasket to the inside face of the panel that removes so it will seal well. I am thinking about a way to make the battery recharge plug fixed in the box wall so I can just plug into the box and charge with out removing a side panel. Since I got this built so late in the short New England riding season I'm just enjoying it as it is and will make some improvements over winter.
I installed a nice double kickstand, side mirror, and a Electra townie rear rack. Still waiting on my new tires.
Everyone is much more accepting of this electric bike compared to a gas bike. I think a lot of people don't know it's electric and what to think when they see it. Cops drive right by, although I slow down when I see them so as not to push my luck.
Just like gas bikes though you have to be extra careful as drivers pull right out in front of you because they aren't expecting a bike to move up on them so quick.

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I've never had any issues with the police. I ride my friction drive 4 stroke 22 miles and through St. Louis city traffic to work and back. No one has stopped me yet and it's been a couple years. I did have an officer pull over this last that being a jerk to me (she cut me off super close). I stopped too but he told me I was fine. What is the norm when one of us gets pulled over on our special bikes?

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I glanced over that first pic I did a double take ," is that bike towing artillery?!" Lol.
Glad you made the swap. I'm thinking I need to move my batteries into that portion of my bike, help with the weight all being in the back

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
If the Bafang's digital display unit is broken or disconnected, will the motor still work after a fashion without it, if at all?

Can the display unit be easily disconnected & removed when the bike is locked up, as its prominent presence on the handlebars gives away that it's an electric bike to thieves and when riding, to The Filth.

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
If the Bafang's digital display unit is broken or disconnected, will the motor still work after a fashion without it, if at all?

Can the display unit be easily disconnected & removed when the bike is locked up, as its prominent presence on the handlebars gives away that it's an electric bike to thieves and when riding, to The Filth.
The display can be disconnected easily, you'd have to modify the display mount if you want to remove it without having to remove the 2 screws where it monts to the handlebars. But there are other easy ways to defeat the motor from working if that's what you're going for. but battery and other wiring is going to let most people figure out it's electric.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I love your bike SilentRider. The battery box you made for the centre of the frame is a nice piece of work.
Thank you. Now that spring has sprung I'm back riding it after a long New England winter and I'm loving it. Having the battery and motor in the center of the bike makes it handle much better than a rear rack battery mount.

Last edited:

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have a Tomnie 3I that I really love and have been thinking about a hub motor but the mid frame motor has a strong appeal. Is there any noise? I think the 3 speed internal hub will give me all the top speed I would need. One of my concerns is range. If you are getting 30 that would work.