SBP Shift Kit - Worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

Rolo

May 2, 2011
New Orleans
I currently ride a 33cc Huasheng friction drive which has been treating me great. I ran a King's off brand 66cc for a while until I got sick of the chain drive, and built the friction drive.

The friction drive is good for riding to work, it doesn't need too much maintenance and is extremely simple. The problem is, I miss the speed and power of my old HT.

I've been having the idea of buying a new Grubee and running it through a shift kit for more low end torque and top end speed. I have a Schwinn Link frame which would be perfect for the kit. It would be a nice summer project.

Is the shift kit as fun as it seems? Any issues I should know about before I think about buying one?

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
it is worth the money according to the reading i have done on it i am saving up for it now for my next build cause it is a full suspension gt lts-5. i havent heard anything bas about it yet maybe some minor adjusting to fit each application but thats it so far. hopefully someone else will chime in from experience or wat they have heard.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
they seem to be worth it you get tons more low end torque and about 5-7 mph more top end and if you buy the CNS performance carb and the expansion chamber you will have a lot more power and speed and torque and probably will increase the life of the motor because it doesn't half to work as hard to move you not that your fat or anything but 66 cc is a small motor it works well but not perfect

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I don't have one yet as I'm waiting to build another bike (#6). All I've heard are good things about them. Some are better then others, from what I understand (and I've done my research, not just here) the kit from SBP seems to be of a better material... I'm NOT into speed, but rather increase the longevity of the engine, as bad as these things are, although I've only had a couple of problems, easily corrected. Bad magneto, and I had a cylinder, piston, and rings FUBAR due to a defective head gasket. I won't build another bike for myself without one.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I believe they have the potential to be almost faster in acceleration when you flat change the gears (WOT don't back off) the problem I had was its hard on the selector and the back wheel would kick to the left from the sudden harshness.
Top end speed can def. be faster I think at one stage I got up to around 80+km/hr wind dragging behind a big truck which was very dangerous mind you but just wanted it to ring it out in 7th with the 11 tooth.
The same motor with a 36 tooth was doing just over 70km/hr.

The problem I found is that when doing say 30km/hr or more up a hill you cant really peddle as to have the gear in the right rev range (mid to top end rev's) the peddle gear ratio is too short meaning I couldnt assist the bike up the hill resulting in going slower.
It depends on the what the rider wants IMHO.

I found that going up hills because I was totally relying on the motor to get up the hill and going slower than I would normally at those revs with a direct drive setup the engine would get alot hotter due to the airflow over the motor being less but the revs being up higher. I would occasionally go up a gear to try and use the torque of the motor but found that the added gearing loss of the whole setup wasn't working for me.

In saying all this other people appear to be having a gr8 time with them. It sounds absolutely awesome changing up and down gears on these things its seriously a head turner and the sound doesnt grow old.

If you do get the kit though go for a long ride mixing it up a little in the tight stuff, hilly areas, and of course the top end runs with a mate (that has a fairly equal ride to yours) and keep in mind how your bike is going in comparison to his before the change over.
Then after fitting up the kit go for the same ride with your mate and see how you find it.

This was my experience with the kit anyways..

These days 1 of my rides has a 36tooth with the usual bolts on goodies and some other mods and my other ride has a 44tooth with a 18mm mikuni and custom chamber.
Both of them have there different applications 1 is for the long rides and the other for messin about.

Happy modding fellas and be sure to give feedback on how it goes if youdecide to go with it.

Cheers Breno

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I build my own shift kits based on the scooterguys's designs.
I have never used one on a happytime.

I do not peddle at all ever, except to ghost peddle for you know who . Or when passing a lycra bicyclist to peddle backwards.

I use a full suspension $ 88.00dollar steel frame wallmart bicycle
A 6 hp gp460 turning 10,000 plus rpm through a 5 to 1 reduction transmission. feeding a sick bike parts freewheel pedal crank jackshaft then to a seven speed megarange freewheel.
Good grief. I have to glue on the hand grips . And use a thumb throttle to keep hold of the bars.
My setup costs about the same as a happytime with a HD shift kit.
I do use the HD freewheel from sick bike parts, as well as there sprockets
I would never go back to a motorized bicycle without a shift kit.

P.S. If I miss a shift I usually destroy the twist-shifter, dérailleur,freewheel,axle ,and the chain.

Amazon loves me.

I shift when the throttle is closed.
I have purchased a nuvinci hub . But have not installed it yet.

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I'm looking at getting a weld on kit, and I have a 700c road bike with aftermarket riser bars. My engine is a 66cc off brand engine with black coating. I currently have a 44t sprocket with a top speed of 38.94 mph at somewhere around 7-8k rpm. Need a tach to monitor rpm. I will be putting 700x35c CX tires for a more aggressive off road tread. It has a standard steel frame, for those who may be wondering.