How I crossed the country onm a Neracar for under 20 bucks

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Good read! I've done a couple stretches of snow/sleet on a motorcycle and is not for the faint of heart. Can't imagine going that far in that kind of weather with those roads!

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What year was that ride done in? Or did I just miss it? Musta been a long time ago-

The Oatman pass between Kingman AZ and Needles Ca was long ago replaced by Route 66 and the bridge seen in The Grapes of Wrath in 1941. I drove over it about 12 years back, and the little winding road was full of potholes. Lived out in Needles a few years then, but I'm originally from Indianapolis too.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The Ner-A-Car was produced from 1921 to 1927 since it was new on the market at the time of the ride, probably no later than 1922.

The WPA during the great depression built most of the improvements you are familiar with. The road Cannonball was following eventually became US 66 (in 1926), but at the time it simply followed the railroad most of the time.

I am familiar with much of his western leg. If you start in Seligman AZ you can follow his route to Kingman AZ, and from there to Needles CA through Oatman pass...

Even in a decent vehicle, Oatman pass is not easy. On gravel with a motorcycle?

His average speeds for some of those legs are amazing.