Anyone ever see a kit like this?

GoldenMotor.com

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
I ordered some 2 stroke motor kits from a supposed reliable supplier and what I received leaves me scratching my head.

First, The motors were rattle can spray painted nuts, gaskets, wires, everything. I called and they said send pics. I did and no response, so I went ahead and installed one of the kits. When trying to start all I heard was a grinding noise. I checked chain, alignment etc. and all seemed good.

I decided to look inside and found the crank gear not even engaging the larger clutch gear or maybe 1/8 in engaged.

Does this look normal to you guys?

Click on image for larger pic.

You can see the shiny crank shaft behind the gear.

How about this spry paint on everything including wires and gaskets.

So what do you think? Still waiting for response from the company before I decide how to proceed. But if the final response is anything like I have received so far, I do not expect Happy Times.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
This is obviously very bad business. False advertising at the very least. This motor looks nothing like what they show on their site.

I will give the a couple more hours before I spread the word far and wide of how they operate. Hopefully they will do the right thing and do as they advertise. If not, lots of things I can do. (like they care) LOL...

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
They are a sponsor here and just maybe it was an oversight sending me junk. Wanna give them a chance to make it right. I did not expect a Rolls Royce motor but these things are just plain laughable.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When you decide to reveal the supplier remember to post it in the 'Swap & Shop section where all vendor reviews, both positive and negative should go.
Thanks.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The spray paint is typical of the generic ht kits and the gear looks like an all-too-typical assembly mistake which is easy to fix as long as the key and shaft are not boogered up.
If you paid more than $150 for the kit, you wasted money.
BGF and many others sell them on ebay for around $150.
Chances are, the sponsor simply drop ships the same engines as everyone else while charging more. Granted, some vendors (even sponsors) ship really sketchy kits occasionally so it pays to ask around before you buy from ebay.
I buy from mingsinternational and rose326 because I know their stuff is good from over 20-25 kits I've bought with only two bad coils so far.(which were replaced free)
99% of the sponsors here don't ever open a box or have anything exceptional, so why pay more?
You ask me, grubee, piston, bikeberry, pirate, etc. are no better than the kits I buy for much less.
The only engines above the usual that I know of are from Dax and Arrow and the price reflects the quality.
You can easily get a worse engine, but it's very hard to find anything better than the standard, universal chinagirl kit, so why pay for a fancy ad in a forum?
I get excellent customer service and fast replacement of any bad parts from ming so I don't care what the ad copy says...money talks, B.S. walks.

Last edited:

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
The spray paint is typical of the generic ht kits and the gear looks like an all-too-typical assembly mistake which is easy to fix as long as the key and shaft are not boogered up.
If you paid more than $150 for the kit, you wasted money.
BGF and many others sell them on ebay for around $150.
Chances are, the sponsor simply drop ships the same engines as everyone else while charging more. Granted, some vendors (even sponsors) ship really sketchy kits occasionally so it pays to ask around before you buy from ebay.
I buy from mingsinternational and rose326 because I know their stuff is good from over 20-25 kits I've bought with only two bad coils so far.(which were replaced free)
99% of the sponsors here don't ever open a box or have anything exceptional, so why pay more?
You ask me, grubee, piston, bikeberry, pirate, etc. are no better than the kits I buy for much less.
The only engines above the usual that I know of are from Dax and Arrow and the price reflects the quality.
You can easily get a worse engine, but it's very hard to find anything better than the standard, universal chinagirl kit, so why pay for a fancy ad in a forum?
I get excellent customer service and fast replacement of any bad parts from ming so I don't care what the ad copy says...money talks, B.S. walks.
Thank you very much. Lots of valuable information right there.

Live and learn...

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
You take the mag cover off? That shaft may be out of whack.

As many times as I've had to futz with that crap on mine, your bevel gear is too far out.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Ya took it off had the mag side crank on an anvil. Did not whack it too hard, just enough to see if it would move.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Tried that. Even heated it with the torch. Just got a head ache from the fumes.
if you got your crankshaft very hot you ruined the crank seal on that side of the engine Pluto, and you are gonna need to replace that if you did, look at that seal real good when you remove the gear, if it looks melted in anyway you'll need to replace it, hammering on that gear may have destroyed the inside edge where the thread are that the puller has to screw into so you can pull it off......

if you can manage to get it off now you may also need to go ahead and get a new one.... never hammer very hard or with a heavy hammer on the crankshaft of one of these little engines, thats a recipe for disaster.....!

best wishes to ya Pluto

Map
reddd

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Kinda figured that. Prolly what gave me the head ache. At this point I think this little soldier is gonna be donating it body to science. There were other parts missing as well. Don't plan on BIKEBERRY doing a damn thing about it. They are thieves in my book.

I spoken with them three times to two diff. people and all they say is someone else needs to help you. Of course that someone is never available. They do not even to bother replying to the emails THEY asked for, for pics.

They suck

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Kinda figured that. Prolly what gave me the head ache. At this point I think this little soldier is gonna be donating it body to science. There were other parts missing as well. Don't plan on BIKEBERRY doing a damn thing about it. They are thieves in my book.

I spoken with them three times to two diff. people and all they say is someone else needs to help you. Of course that someone is never available. They do not even to bother replying to the emails THEY asked for, for pics.

They suck
Yep that one will end up flying like a horse......LOL!

You may be able to get it going so don't give up, just need to get that gear off and see what the crank looks like, and if the seal is bad now, thats a nickel and dime repair, if you have to buy another engine, and you want something more budget minded ebay vendors like LEB and Rose326 offer a good product and good customer service.

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a much better built and much smoother running engine order a F80 engine from ThatsDax, I'll guarantee you that you wont go wrong with that one, engine or service.....!

Map
reddd

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Sounds like good advice. I was putting these two together for other people. They wanted cheap. I think I am going four stroke next. Don't get me wrong I love my two stroker but you know what went into that motor and who wants to pay for that.

Any new buzzers will be from Dax. Are his four stroke motors superior to other as well?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sounds like good advice. I was putting these two together for other people. They wanted cheap. I think I am going four stroke next. Don't get me wrong I love my two stroker but you know what went into that motor and who wants to pay for that.

Any new buzzers will be from Dax. Are his four stroke motors superior to other as well?
I dont know about the 4 strokes but Im gonna say they will be at least as good as any other vendor and could be better than some, not sure how many different manufacturers there are for the four strokes.

I have heard qbout the engines BB is selleng now and that they are not the original Flying Horse engines.

Map
.wee.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Ive also bought several from "Mingsinternational" and one motor had a similar gear issue he "Ming" said to just send it back but I instead decided to fix it myself rather than wait half the summer for it to come back, besides it only took me like 20 minutes to do and that motor has turned out to be the fastest , strongest motor out of the 7 kits I have bought From Ming .

I just bought one from BGF and I wasn't happy to see it came with the 6 mm head bolts instead of the 8 mm head bolts im used to getting if it matters to you in the future make sure to request the 8mm head bolts they just seem better to me. It is considerably less power and knocks on the hill climbs

One of the single motors I bought from Ming had a similar issue the gear was out a little but I just tapped it back in and tightened it down but like he said make sure the key way is not binding prior to tapping it in .."If you decide to go that route" the price of these motors and the frequency at which they make them we are bound to have a few snags. Either way you still shouldn't have to wait for a response especially after he asked for photo's BGF also took forever to get back to me but they eventually did

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Right, thanks man. Good advice and still no response from BB. They suck.
Maybe after 6 months they will holler back at ya just to let you know that the FREE 6 month warranty has ended...LOL! and you have yourself an excellent trotline weight....!

Actually, I hope all works out for you and they will take care of their end of the deal, if not in the proper place here on the forum I'd sing like a canary about how they wont honor what they advertise, as it has been said many times on this forum, good customer service is worth the few extra bucks it may cost you to have that insurance, just like the insurance we buy for our home and vehicles, we hope to never need it but if we do we're awful glad we paid those premiums... peace of mind is a good thing to own in all aspects of this life for now and the future....! Amen?

Map
reddd