New Carb, no power

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Now this is a crazy idea, and I am only suggesting this because your access to micro drill bits is sketchy.
Bear with me, mechanical pencil leads come in sizes of 0.5mm and 0.7mm.

Now, if you were to insert a 0.7mm pencil lead into the jet hole, then melted solder into it and could find some way to get the lead out, you would have a 0.7mm hole, if you rubbed the lead on paper you could make the diameter smaller than 0.7mm.

So yeah, I'm thinking to myself, 'Great Jeenyus, how the heck does he get out the lead'?

Use very little solder and scrape it out with a pin?

(I come up with these crazy ideas because all my life I have made something from nothing, or tried to fix something without the proper tools)

Remember, this is just throwing out an idea and I do not know how well or not it will work, it's up to you and at least I tried to help in any way I can.

Note: 0.024" is equal to 0.6096mm (that is one LEAN jet!)

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
Sounds like a really good idea Toadmund. Will try that with one of the extra jets I have lying around.

The e-clip is now in the middle position and the spark plug is not black anymore. Power going uphill is still non existent though.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Before you go and try my dubious and untested idea, you should do a plug chop.
Go full speed on the throttle, then cut the throttle and kill the engine. Let your motor cool down, then remove the spark plug, if it is black, it is too rich, if it is grey is is too lean, if it is chocolate brown (milk chocolate) it is good.

About the uphill issue:
Is your clutch slipping?
Is your fuel filter, tank screen filter, not clogged?
Is your air filter restrictive?
Is your fuel bowl filling up?
Dirt in your carb?

Check out those things at least before you go and waste time soldering jets.
(of course it's a waste of time if you don't have to.)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Sounds like a really good idea Toadmund. Will try that with one of the extra jets I have lying around.

The e-clip is now in the middle position and the spark plug is not black anymore. Power going uphill is still non existent though.
Have your tried using the jet and float from the original carb that ran better? (before it broke) If the new carb is the same the jet should fit and by using the old float you get the same setting as the old carb since its set by the tab on the float. Just a thought, rehashed.....

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

rule is: lean for speed, rich for power

if speed is good on flat ground, try lifting the needle one notch