Hello from Queensland Australia

GoldenMotor.com

Dave62

Mar 28, 2011
Queensland Australia
Hello all,

I'm Dave from Australia and I've just finished installing a 66cc motor to my mountain bike. I'll post a picture of the set up once I find a person young enough to teach me how to upload pictures onto the forum.

I have a number of questions about running in. By the way, I had a bit of a search and couldn't find answers to specific questions, so here goes...

The instructions that came with the motor instructs me to run the motor in by riding at 20kph for the first 500 km. What about going up hills? Am I putting too much strain on the new motor by tackling long and steep hills? (long and steep means about 3kms at 20-25 degrees) I climbed the hill the other day and found I needed to help the motor out by pedaling. (I don't mind pedaling: I need the exercise)

What about going down the hill? I cruised down idling without any throttle and a combination of engine compression and brakes to control the speed. Once again, is this bad for the motor?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Dave.auflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum! Howzit down in Queensland these days? Say hi to Noosa Heads for me.

You're fine going up hills as you are, but going down hill if it long and steep enough you're best off killing the engine and coasting down. The reason being is when you're idling down the hill and still going fast, your engine is not getting sufficient lubrication and can over heat. If your going down hill fast and on the throttle, you're ok as lubrication is in your gas and all's well.

Have fun and ride safe! dnut