Behind the Orange Curtain?

GoldenMotor.com

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
Ive heard a lot of talk here about issues when riding in Orange County. Just wondering more specifics on the topic. Like are they just mean or what.

Thanks!

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The biggest problem I've run into in the area of Orange County that I live in (Newport/Costa Mesa) is how the two different Police Depts. have different ideas about what is actually stated in the Calif. Veh. Code. Costa Mesa seems to think that you have to have be equipped the same as a motorcycle (working headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals, horn, and have Insurance. I've even been told that I can't make a motorized bike legal by the Costa Mesa PD, although it was almost 2 yrs ago before I had my one time registration plate, when I was told this. In Newport the PD has never bothered me. About the same time I was told I couldn't make my bike legal by the CM police I stopped and asked a Newport Policeman what his understanding of the Veh. Code was pertaining to motorized bicycles and he had to pull out a cheat sheet to quote the sections to me and then pretty much said that if I Had a DOT Helmet, and was riding reasonably I would have no problems in Newport, he also added that I needed headlight and taillight for night riding.

ocscully

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i live in Costa Mesa. i ride almost everyday, as it's my only (motorized) form of transportation. i've never been stopped, and i ride my bike like it was a motorcycle. it's registered, and i have the plate on it. i've got a tailight, that actually works as a brake light, and that's it. the only time i ride at night is when i don't make it home in time.

i ride busy streets, like Newport Blvd, Harbor, 17th, etc, in traffic, at 40+mph. i use left turn lanes, pass cars and busses on the left, and pretty much follow the rules of the road, like a scooter. the only time i ride in bike lanes is if i can't keep up with traffic, since everyone speeds here.

i see at least 10-20 cops on a daily basis, and none of them have ever done anything, except for giving me a second look or something. i've been in front of them at stoplights, next to them at turn lanes, and yesterday i was drafting a box truck down Harbor where it goes under the 405, in the middle lane (because the right three lanes get on the freeway,) about 50mph, and there was a MC cop next to me the whole time. i think he was smiling...

i kinda like pushing my luck around cops. i'm waiting to get pulled over, just to see what they say.

i think one thing that helps me out, is my bike doesn't look like an unsafe "toy." i use Opti2 oil so it doesn't smoke, i've got the baffle in my exhaust, and my bike has more of an old-timey motorcycle look, instead of a thrift store death trap.

i think Orange County gets a bad rap, and i don't really know why. i've been hassled more times driving a car than on my bike.