for all you CA riders out there listen here

GoldenMotor.com

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
Even know I live in CA and own a bicycle with a kit that is not legal here, and do not ride it with out a helmet. I still ride it only in my naborhood because its a big naborhood and there is not to much cops that potrol the naborhood. but I still have to be very careful because they could still be in the airea and I some times cant hear cars coming behind me because of the motor, their for I could probably run into a cop at any time any place. but even if I do get pulled over I still dont know what would happen. they could tell me that is not legal to ride on the streets of CA, which i know and make me pay a big fine for braking the law. Or worse they could take it and I would not get it back and also pay a fine for braking the law.
So if you live in CA like me I would be careful so that would not happen to you. always remember if you live in CA that when your riding to have fun because thats what I do to not worry about cops

sorry if I sound like im worrying about it to much but I do that for a reson and that reson is that I hate the idea of a cop giving me a ticket and or taking my bike away from me wouldent you?

.flg.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they're legal, more or less. check this thread:http://motorbicycling.com/f17/ca-law-info-3936.html

there's tons of back and forth jibberish going on in it, but basically, under 50cc, under 30mph, 18 and over, and wear a helmet is all you need.

my bike's legally registered, i have a plate and paperwork, and i ride passed cops on a daily basis.

today, i was in the left turn lane in the busiest intersection in costa mesa, at 17th and Newport, with a cop alongside me and another one about 2 cars back. i waved at the cop next to me and he gave me the thumbs up.

the only "problem" i've ever had was a park ranger telling me i couldn't ride through Mile Square Park in Santa Ana. i told him it was legal, and he asked where my plate was, 'cause i didn't have it yet. he told me "cool bike, you just can't ride it here."

went back this weekend, saw the same guy, pulled alongside and showed him my new plate. he said, "i guess it's ok, then. just don't scare the ducks..."

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
they're legal, more or less. check this thread:http://motorbicycling.com/f17/ca-law-info-3936.html

there's tons of back and forth jibberish going on in it, but basically, under 50cc, under 30mph, 18 and over, and wear a helmet is all you need.

my bike's legally registered, i have a plate and paperwork, and i ride passed cops on a daily basis.

today, i was in the left turn lane in the busiest intersection in costa mesa, at 17th and Newport, with a cop alongside me and another one about 2 cars back. i waved at the cop next to me and he gave me the thumbs up.

the only "problem" i've ever had was a park ranger telling me i couldn't ride through Mile Square Park in Santa Ana. i told him it was legal, and he asked where my plate was, 'cause i didn't have it yet. he told me "cool bike, you just can't ride it here."

went back this weekend, saw the same guy, pulled alongside and showed him my new plate. he said, "i guess it's ok, then. just don't scare the ducks..."
hey thanks so much for the info i realy belived the people at that wearhouse in city of industry that i bought it from because they made my dad sign a paper saying that we know that it was not street legal and we also asked if there was some way to make it street legal and they said no but i knew that they did not know alot about the laws because i have seen a few people with my kind of motor on their bike and they where
riding them on public streets so thanks to you I can make it street legal

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
...there's tons of back and forth jibberish going on in it, but basically, under 50cc, under 30mph, 18 and over, and wear a helmet is all you need...
There is no 50cc limit specified, just 2hp.

There is no 18 yrs age specified, just an M1,M2 permit (minimum 15-1/2 yrs old) or M1,M2 license (minimum 16 yrs old).

You will also need to learn about the equipment requirements. Already covered over and over in other posts. Good luck "paper boy". Now you know that you can make it legal in California.

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
There is no 50cc limit specified, just 2hp.

There is no 18 yrs age specified, just an M1,M2 permit (minimum 15-1/2 yrs old) or M1,M2 license (minimum 16 yrs old).

You will also need to learn about the equipment requirements. Already covered over and over in other posts. Good luck "paper boy". Now you know that you can make it legal in California.
thanks for giving me more info because im only 16 and now i know that all i have to do to make it street legal is no far away which is great for me so thanks

.shft.

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
I ride from San Jose to Stanford (15 mi.) almost every day and when I am not commuting I ride this area for fun. I have passed many cops and have never had any problems. I wear my helmet, use my lights, and strictly follow all of the laws that pertain to bikes. I believe that if you look like you know what you are doing the man will just drive on by.

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
I ride from San Jose to Stanford (15 mi.) almost every day and when I am not commuting I ride this area for fun. I have passed many cops and have never had any problems. I wear my helmet, use my lights, and strictly follow all of the laws that pertain to bikes. I believe that if you look like you know what you are doing the man will just drive on by.
I think your right but the only thing is that im only sixteen and dont have my liecens yet i ride with no problem in my naborhood but i do not have the guts to take it out on the public streets so can anyone tell me wut would happen if a cop pulled me over?.wee.