Promised Tandem Info and Pix

GoldenMotor.com

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Hi gang. Love this forum.
I just joined couple of days ago and said I’d post some pix of my 66cc tandem project.
It’s a 1993 Trailmate made in USA Easy Ride “lady’s” (lower bars) Tandem. Originally it was a coaster brake w/front caliper brake, fenders. I installed lighter rims, removed my gearing from the donor replacement wheel and installed a Shimano BMX 18t freewheel sprocket instead. I don’t want issues with gearing and chain coming off on a motorized bike. (Safety for my wife and all). Cut the front bar and raised it to accommodate the motor. Geometry is best in the front. Had to cut one rear wheel support out and ½ of the lower tube also and insert steel so tube is solid in the ½ that’s left and add a vertical support for strength. Cut the rear handlebar support allowing the bars to rise to clear new pipe welded to support the tube for mounting the fuel tank horizontally. Tank had to be above the inlet to carb and up front caused a clearance for my short inseam. Hardware store had a different fuel petcock so I could make necessary alteration under seat next to bike lock for fuel line. It is a Briggs and Stratton part but they had no part number for it or I’d include it. It works well and is plastic that threads directly into the tank allowing a 90 where I needed it. Added inline fuel filter. Lengthened the chain and made a damper for the upper portion from hi-density material that won’t wear to keep the vibes from hitting the home made chain guard. The chain guard is functional yet has to have its shape determined yet. I’m still thinking on that and what if any ornamentation to mount and or cool graphic to match the paint that I’ll do over winter after a complete tear down and weld grinding and prep. So paint and graphics will wait till February or so.
Anyway here it is. My first build, it’s safe and quite reliable for my wife and I. It sure helps on hills and is a blast to ride. Brings smiles to all that see us. Might add a front disc brake kit to ensure my stop-‘ness.
Best to all and enjoy my pix
Alajoyn.
Portage, Michigan

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Thanks For Sharing And Welcome. Do Not See Many Tandems With Motors. I Bought A Beauty For 100 Bucks A Few Months Ago. I Thought They Would Have Free Wheel Bearings On The Pedal Cranks, Not So. May Be To Keep The Cranks In Correct Position With Each Other For Going Around Corners Or Leaning. If Not For The Safty Feature, Free Wheels On The Cranks Would Be Nice. Ron

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Wow! Did that take an entire box of chain? Cool idea with the tank! Your wife can add extra gas and you don't even have to stop! :D