Earplugs ??

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
The 2 cycle H.T. China girl can be quite loud especially with the expansion chamber. Do you guys wear earplugs (i do) and what kind ? Right now iam wearing a pink foam flat on both ends and circular--but they dont seem as good as some solid rubber ones i had flat one side and rounded the other. I dont think the ear muff style would work too good with a helmet ! i feel you still need to hear somewhat. They can sometimes be hard to set well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd be more concerned with what the people around you hear. Maybe a quieter exhaust system woud be better for you and the hobby. Muffle it and maybe the legislators won't have as much ammunition when it comes time to control this hobby. If your bike is loud enough to require hearing protection, its too loud.
Tom

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
what did you say? Huh! I cant hear you! let me turn this off so I can hear you better! now what was that again? did you say something?

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
This thread has to be a joke....Earplugs?what?Come on man these things dont make half the noise of a dirt bike or a harley....You must have super sesitive ears or one major exaust leak....
John

Plindy

Dec 9, 2008
mn. usa.
Ya! Robin, They work great. I left mine in one day after work, cutting with chainsaws... & ect.

If i knew of a quieter muffle, I would get one first thing.

I HATE NOISE & so do my nerves!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I wear them any time I ride any motorized bike, scooter or motorcycle. The reduction in wind noise lets you hear the engine much easier.

Anyone who has played in a rock band for 20+ years needs all the help they can get, it doesn't matter how LOUD the cycle is.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wear them any time I ride any motorized bike, scooter or motorcycle. The reduction in wind noise lets you hear the engine much easier.

Anyone who has played in a rock band for 20+ years needs all the help they can get, it doesn't matter how LOUD the cycle is.
I suppose they would keep the bugs out. I heard a story about a bee and a biker's ear.
Tom

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
wind noise is the worst, i agree with joe

Rock bands only got venom & fangs a couple of decades ago or so when a couple of kilowatts of amplification could be afforded by any street corner or basement club or drum clinic...

forty years after working roadie/2nd sound engineer for Bill Haley & the Comets my older brother tunes pianos having turned 61 now

before earplugs he'd stuff paper tissue in his ears. then soft wax came.

these days earplugs are better than full cans for protection.

Neither of us would dream of listening to music through cans unless someone pays the going hourly rate at a mix desk but not for pleasure, **** no, those things - headphones with music .... shudder .... they <are> dangerous

these engines -stock - are quiet enough i don't reckon plugs are needed or even close to being needed ... & i'm a fanatic

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I dont know i got a Tanaka 40 and after the Subaru 35 my ears are ringing pretty bad from todays 15 mile ride going to see what i can find. I know a hardhat with earmuffs and flashing red liht on the top LoL.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
My helmet has padding over my ears, so I don't really get any wind noise. I like to keep my engine quiet, so with full baffle I don't need ear protection. I will admit though, without a baffle, they can be quite loud.

On a related note, over the weekend, I helped my dad troubleshoot a 580 Arctic Cat. While testing, he started it with NO muffler hooked up, no expansion chamber, just the Y-Pipe. I don't know how the **** he could stand not using ear-plugs.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
All my Chinagirl builds are sora annoyingly noisy at higher rpm cruise speeds. The engines, not the exhaust.

I close my legs against the tank, and it blocks a LOT of engine noise.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I would have to agree about the tank amplifying the sound. One way I cut down on noise is to use spacers between the cooling fins. Just small engine pucks, enough to dampen the vibrations. Past a certain point though, it's a losing battle making these quiet.

irishb1976

Jun 24, 2011
Anacortes, WA
Can you recommend an exhaust system that greatly reduces the noise? I'd love to keep a lower profile when riding, both for the enjoyment of the people around me, and so I'm not constantly scanning for cops. I really don't want to be that obnoxious guy with the loud bike everyone can't stand. I have a 2009 80cc Jiali motor on a Schwinn. Thanks

Last edited:

irishb1976

Jun 24, 2011
Anacortes, WA
OK, then another thought occurs to me, is anyone familiar with an aftermarket shield you can mount over the engine itself? Of coarse I realize it would need air intake, heat insulation and ports for the exaust, but if there is something out there that would act like a hood for a car then the community would be more accepting of motorized biking in general. Thanks

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
OK, then another thought occurs to me, is anyone familiar with an aftermarket shield you can mount over the engine itself? Of coarse I realize it would need air intake, heat insulation and ports for the exaust, but if there is something out there that would act like a hood for a car then the community would be more accepting of motorized biking in general. Thanks
It's not a bad idea but the devil is in the details. I've worked over the exhaust note in the Robin and Mits TLE engines I use, walking the line between quiet and reduced performance. I've gotten exhaust noise to an acceptable level but then it becomes apparent intake noise is a contributor as well.

I'm playing around with some ideas for an airbox on the intake to suppress noise on the front end, trying to keep it lightweight and unobtrusive.