Chain Binding

GoldenMotor.com

T-White

Apr 13, 2008
I just got a Chinese 2stroke engine kit. fitting the kit was a breeze but mounting the chain has been a real nightmare. my chain is not sitting on the teeth very well and the teeth just push the chain to derail. I am thinking of grinding the teeth. does any one know of a solution. any suggestions thanks

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Pretty much everyone has to file/dremel the teeth of the rear sprocket so that they are more pointy. I think it is almost guaranteed that without doing this, the chain will pop off.

When I first got my bike going the chain popped off every minute, and the chain bunched up in the front sprocket area, and it was a real pain. Once I filed the sprocket teeth, no more problems with this.

Last edited:

T-White

Apr 13, 2008
it seems to sit fine on the rear but the front is where the problems are. It seams tight to get the file in to the front sprocket is it possible to remove the front sprocket and go from there with a file?

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hmm, if the chain is being pushed off the teeth of the front sprocket it could be that your chain is not tight enough. These chains need to be pretty darn tight, I read somewhere that the chain should only move up and down 1/4 inch.
I'm not sure how to get the front sprocket off, I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that can help you; its full of helpful people that know the bike kits inside and out.

T-White

Apr 13, 2008
I think a combination of teeth reshaping and chain tension will be the way to go for my problem. I have a RK 415h chain that I will take the master link out and cut to the correct length. This chain is allot nicer than the stock chain.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Does the chain really fit well? My chain stretches so much I've been wondering if there was another chain out there the same size that wouldn't stretch.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hmm, if the chain is being pushed off the teeth of the front sprocket it could be that your chain is not tight enough. These chains need to be pretty darn tight, I read somewhere that the chain should only move up and down 1/4 inch.
I'm not sure how to get the front sprocket off, I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that can help you; its full of helpful people that know the bike kits inside and out.

3/4" not 1/4".

These chains should be run fairly LOOSE or you will encounter all kinds of bearing and tensioner problems.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Some have to file the front sprocket, depending on who you bought your kit from.

The chain will stretch for quite a long time, but once it's done, it will not need to be adjusted frequently. 300 miles or so should do it, until then you will have to adjust the chain very often.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
T-White
I also had a problem with my chain fitting the drive sprocket.So bad I thought I had the wrong size sprocket.The helpful folks on this forum were kind enough to inform me that the unidentifiable part I had left over(short piece of threaded pipe with a nut on it) was actually a gear/sprocket puller.If you have one,Its alot easier to work on your sprocket if you pull it out.To remove sprocket nut I jammed the sprocket with a small piece of wood between teeth and motor housing to keep engine from turning.Dremmel tool does work good.Ron