My electric start full suspension predator 212 build

GoldenMotor.com

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
I did remove the oil level sensor from inside at the same time I removed the governor. So that isn't a problem. The manual calls for half a quart i put nearly a full quart to ensure the splasher arm got down into the oil. This was done simply by eye balling I know it is enough cause before I put the breather in I was getting serious oil out of it so I know oil is getting up into the valve cover. I don't have to worry about oil into the intake since I have a oil catch can on my breather.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hey, you know your stuff! I looked at those catch cans, I guess go by other names too, like oil separator. Cost was a bit too much for me so I made one of my own, but have since removed as I found out it was not necessary when my valve clearance was checked and adjusted. It was not oil after all. It was the fuel spray going the opposite way. I even used a breather with foam as part of its inside construction all in series with pvc and oil separator when it was for nothing.

Another build or a small cc motorcross bike used with rear suspension and a comfortable seat one day for me.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=54926 Travels OffRoad

https://vimeo.com/130158715 On the Trails

MT

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri

I started building a bike for my gf so she can cruise around town with us but I can't decided on a 79cc or a 49cc 4 stroke kit with a 3 speed hub. What are yours guys opinion?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So it seems you have 2 builds going at the same time. Gf I'm not familiar with.... I don't think you meant HF Harbor Freight.

My offroad is a BS. If I had the choice to start a build retro active it would have probably been a new engine. Nope this is a 70-80's era Briggs and Stratton 3hp. It slips on the v-belt if to steep a hill or after going through a deep enough puddle or stream. But I'm having fun with it.

In any case the HF 212 if I see what they sell for CARB compliant CA model and it still sells for around 100 dollars, I'd not worry about about getting parts by having to order online. I've always pulled from trash and fixed up thrown away or flea market bargains.

I was once interviewed for a job and tested on an auto start generator. There are some things that also were integrated into the unit that controlled the choke and wait times between attempts to start if so many seconds had passed while cranking. As you see this was for an unattended startup for back up power. I don't think you would want that, but hey maybe you'll think other wise and get a key fob and start it up while sipping hot chocolate inside when temps are freezing;)

Last edited:

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Gf = girlfriend my friend made the mistake of letting her ride his bike and she was hooked so now I have to build her one since I'm not letting her ride either of mine haha

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Lot's more grunt with the 79cc Predator and the price is right. I've used both the 49cc hs and the 79cc and there's a big difference in power. On the other hand the 49cc is narrower and if you have three speeds to work with the smaller engine should be powerful enough. Easier to swap carbs to an NT with the predator. If you're smart you'll leave the decision to your girlfriend... big points for you. Ha!
SB

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
She's been pretty involved in the decision making so far. She just said she wanted a 4 stroke with a centrifugal clutch and to be able to keep up with my friends and I. Which my three friends and I all have fully built 2 strokes by Fred from Fred head. All three running race gas and then I have the 212 bike so really neither motor will be enough for her. I want her to be able to cruise between 35 and 40.

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
Beautiful bike!

I'd slap an ungoverned 79 in that frame for her! You can get that up to 35 -40 with ease and it's like the 212's kid brother so you would already know what to do =-)

Sounds like you've got a keeper if she's getting a bike of her own =-D. My wife just says my bike projects are stupid =,-(

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Yea she is a keeper I think she would much rather me buying her a ring over building her a bike. Which I'm working on but stupid little rings are so damn expensive. And I have a lot of expensive hobbies haha.

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I know how that goes! Maybe better do the ring first and THEN the bike =-P

I spent good money on my wife's and bought mine at our county fair for $12! Lol. Can't go wrong with that for myself. Stainless =-)

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Back to the topic on hand. Where do you find 79cc aftermarket parts to handle the govenor removed obviously need at least a flywheel. Agk never seems to have anything and I don't think arc makes one for the 79cc

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Lot's more grunt with the 79cc Predator and the price is right. I've used both the 49cc hs and the 79cc and there's a big difference in power.
On the other hand the 49cc is narrower and if you have three speeds to work with the smaller engine should be powerful enough.
I have done both as well and agree.
The machines I am building these days are using the HS 144F 53cc engines and an internal 3-speed and find them not only easier but flat out awesome.

...She just said she wanted a 4 stroke with a centrifugal clutch and to be able to keep up with my friends and I.
I want her to be able to cruise between 35 and 40.
Those are exactly the bikes I have been turning towards building.
Heck, I don't even dink with 2-stroke builds unless they are extreme custom builds.

Sure they cost more, especially when equipped with dual disc brakes to be able to stop as fast as you you can go in 10' but will still run with modded 2-strokers in every way.

With 3-speed gears a 49-53cc shifter you just don't have the inherent hassle of a 2-stroke in every way short of weight, and I have spent the last 6 years trying almost every way there is to motorize a bicycle, and found what I think is best system there is for reliability and ease of operation for those that want a mini motorcycle to get around with high speed and minimal hassle, and going 'all in' with it.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Hey romerider I totally dig your bike! It's awesome how you were able to modernize and fully option a cruiser to such a high level of specification, I bet it feels effortless to operate and draws looks from everyone!

This build has got me thinking about a 4 stroke again, since I would like to be able to ride more with less preparation.

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
It deff draws attention everywhere I go. When i ride it to the bar people litterally pull over to take pictures of it. It is insanely loud tho so I get alittle negative attention to. It's great when we get like 5 bikes together and all go out cruising downtown Newport. Kc all my other bikes have 3 speed internal Hubs so I'm deff a fan of that option I just wanted to make sure the 49cc 4 stroke would be able to cruise around 40.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Kc all my other bikes have 3 speed internal Hubs so I'm deff a fan of that option
I just wanted to make sure the 49cc 4 stroke would be able to cruise around 40.
Your build should do 40 easy, 40 is tough to hit with just a 49cc even with gears unless you get very aerodynamic as they just don't have the ump to overcome wind resistance sitting up past ~35.

Again nice build man, you did yourself proud ;-}

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Kc so I'm confused a 49cc with a three speed in your opinion won't do 40 because I think that was the direction I was going to go. I figured I would just pick up the 4 stroke kit slap that on let her get her feet wet and then get the sick bike parts jackshaft and throw a 3 speed on once she is comfortable. Either that or a 79cc with govenor removed and 19mm carb right from the start. Since you seem to have the most experience which would you suggest for a 5'7" 125 pound girl? And to be able to hit 40 if need be. Also thank you for the compliments on my bike.