I'm thinking of purchasing this moped

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
This is a late '50s British Raleigh moped. The seller says it runs. I may go take a closer look in a week when he's back in town. He had it at Donut Derelicts this morning. I've done a little research but would love to hear from anyone who knows about these.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think it would be worth a post on MopedArmy.com to get some opinions. They are a weird bunch, but they know their mopeds. They will also give you a better idea of availability of parts for that little Raleigh.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks guys, all excellent ideas. So far I found that the early models had no auto clutch and I don't know if that means a lever pull or bump start. More research. I can get it for a very fair price, so a few more days to think about it and I'll post my decision after I go check it out more closely.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
It's definately cool. Looks to be in good shape too,not all banged up or rusted. Leave it at Rays for me.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Researching this moped reveals a lot about the technique used in riding it. If it's a regular RM1, it has no clutch and you have to pedal start after every stop using the compression release. If it's a RMC1, it has an automatic clutch. Or it could have the clutch upgrade. I'll have to check it out more closely. They seem to be pretty collectible with the British made motor.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0238.htm