Best carb for low budget?

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I've ben looking around on ebay and some other sites for speed/racing carbs and I have no idea which is best for mine. My motorbike is all stock except its got a B6 sparkplug and here soon I'll have this expansion chamber on it :http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Motor-...prg=20131017132637&rk=0&rkt=4&sd=161129846381

I've been looking at some Dolorti (however you spell it) and I've seen this one which I do believe its a copy of it : http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-P-Carbure...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6f9deee1&vxp=mtr

I've got a low budget and I'm just wondering which is best for speed. Thanks yalldrn2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Stick with the NT or NT Speed. You can't go wrong with either. Easily tuned and will give you all the performance you can expect from a stock engine. And they're cheap.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I guess we should ask what's on your bike now......'cause the best budget carb may be what you already have.

Good luck with your projects!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can bolt a holley dominator on it and it will not be any faster UNLESS your engine can take advantage of more airflow.
Stick with the NT until you need more.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Order yourself a couple of different jet sizes from SBP, such as 66,68, for your NT especially after you put a pipe on. You will have the least inexpensive and hassle free carb.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
If you are really and truly on a low budget then the carb you have right now is the best carb. Over the course of my life I have owned many old motorcycles and a lot of the time I was dirt poor. Having patched old carbs together that I found in the tip with petrol tank repair compound, hose clamps and wire I can tell you that if it runs and doesn't leak it's a good carb.
As in martial arts where the best weapon is the one you have in your hand right at this moment, so it is with carbs on bikes

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
If you know what your doin', with the tuning of the standard carb, it's probably all you'll need.
If you don't want to swap needle clips, get the Del Rep, but it won't make it go much better than a well tuned standard carb, I like the speed carb, but really it's only fractionally larger.
For the 'ultimate' in 'cheap carbs', the 15mm barrel carb from a scooter, $13-$15 on EBay, but I don't think anyone does a manifold to suit.

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
i have that pipe. i like it w a 1/2 to 1" spacer. so far it is my go to pipe. but there is a copy of that w a silencer at speeddemon that looks simpler. it will be here in couple days. we will see...

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
nt speed is cheap and easy to tune. Will provide plenty of power when properly tuned. Thats crucial - spend your budget on jets. I built a bike that goes 40 plus mph with a stock carb and rear sprocket, just tuned really well with a very nice high rpm moped exhaust. I think that a lot of the time people use a 36 tooth sprocket on a poorly tuned bike as a speed band aid, where in reality they could get as much top end with a stock drive setup and a very well tuned engine.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
A 36t can get you 50MPH, On a well tuned motor, (at 9500 RPM).
But a speed carb will get you up around there, It's more about the pipe/port timing, that's where your going to get more power, without these, may as well stick to the standard carb.

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
Nt carbs: most tunable. Cheap. Normal nt for 48cc. Speed nt for 66cc. Rating: 8.6/10 15/30$ depending on seller. Sbp high flow HD air filter can increase small amount of power. A LOT better than the filter it comes with. Seriously.

Dellorto/clones (rt): jet only tuning, has 2mm pole in the middle of the carb that the fuel flows through. I personally don't like it cause I think it hurts high rpm air flow. Requires different throttle cable. Rating: 7/10
30/60$ depending on seller. good stock air filter.

I liked the rt I have but the lack of being able to tune it, to get it perfect you need lots of jets and patience. I didn't like. It's sitting in a drawer. Missing a spring and the noodle for the cable.

Overall: 1st: nt speed, 2nd dellorto (rt) then 3rd. the regular nt