New shop tools

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm waiting with glee to see what happens when you finally get to welding on Aluminum.
I know when I first learned to TIG there were all kinds of things around my house that suddenly became lighter and stronger....
I can only imagine what would have happened had I known about these little chinagirls back then.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
very nice looking. just makes me ask one thing is it a good idea for the port to be that wide? even though Ive built a reeded engine Im still new to them and when I think about the rings that just looks very wide but I know I can and most likely am very easly wrong. so teach me please. then after you teach me and anyone else with the same question I want a price a jug set up like that lol

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I got my first chance to use the lathe today... I used it to make the center hole of a steel sprocket larger to fit on a Nexus 3-speed hub. (^)

View attachment 61847

View attachment 61848
Sweet.
The Nexus internal 3 coaster is a popular cruiser bike hub and a stock kit sprocket that will fit them would be great.

I have a stack of sprockets, mostly 410 chain size from newer Skyhawk 2-stroke kits I jackshafted, most are true, some have slight warps which is noted on them as when you stack of sprockets even the slightest of warp doesn't need to be used, and a couple of 415 chain size sprockets as well.

If I paid to ship you a box full of sprockets you could just have to re-sale or whatever you want would you in return ship me back two 410's and a 415 with the larger hole to fit a Nexus?

I really like that back wheel on beach cruiser and being able to use it on a direct drive 2-stroke kit would be a thrill hehehe ;-}

Cool new shop toys Norm, nice score ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
very nice looking. just makes me ask one thing is it a good idea for the port to be that wide? even though Ive built a reeded engine Im still new to them and when I think about the rings that just looks very wide but I know I can and most likely am very easly wrong. so teach me please. then after you teach me and anyone else with the same question I want a price a jug set up like that lol
Scott you took the words right out of my head, I don't know much about doing a reed set up on these engines either and don't know what the overall benefit is other than maybe better low end response or something, which by the way I could be wrong about......?

Growing up I road lots of 2 smokers, my uncle owned a Yamaha dealership and my cousin and I road like crazy on the RD and the YZ 2 smokers and on down to the milder ones, all the bikes I ever had were either reed valved or rotary valve engines, anything to help with performance is much welcomed by me on these china girl engines as long as it doesn't cost more than the bike and engine is worth, I'd just put a motorcycle engine in a bike before I'd throw $800+ at a modified china girl... but if a reed set up made a big difference in the low to mid performance I'd do that mod to one.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"as long as it doesn't cost more than the bike and engine is worth, I'd just put a motorcycle engine in a bike before I'd throw $800+ at a modified china girl"
This says it all for me.
China girls are for fun, not racing.
These things are the cheapest motorized way to get around that I'm aware of. absolutely They are perfect for what they are designed to do.
They are not designed for power and speed. They are meant to tiddle around for years with no fuss. I think the main reason I have such good luck with these things is because I accept them for what they are and don't expect too much.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
"as long as it doesn't cost more than the bike and engine is worth, I'd just put a motorcycle engine in a bike before I'd throw $800+ at a modified china girl"
This says it all for me.
China girls are for fun, not racing.
These things are the cheapest motorized way to get around that I'm aware of. absolutely They are perfect for what they are designed to do.
They are not designed for power and speed. They are meant to tiddle around for years with no fuss. I think the main reason I have such good luck with these things is because I accept them for what they are and don't expect too much.
Yep, I like to do some mods to mine to get better reliability and better performance out of them, but I just wont spend hundreds on mine, I dont think there is a thing wrong with someone spending as much as they want on one if that is what they want to do..... I just want mine to run really good and be as reliable as they can be for what they are, my dax engine is already cruising me at 40+mph with a stock type head a home grown cheap loud as heck exhaust and a stock rejetted NT carb, I've got maybe just over$100 in this engine, it has well ported jug and high quality upper wrist pin bearing, gaskets I made myself and its on a bike that I paid $75 for, cant find a thing wrong with that set up......!

Peace, Map

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Scott you took the words right out of my head, I don't know much about doing a reed set up on these engines either and don't know what the overall benefit is other than maybe better low end response or something, which by the way I could be wrong about......?
Reed ports are supposed to match or rise above the stock transfers by 1mm. That huge transfer port, because it doesnt rise above the piston, is perfectly fine (dont worry about rounding the edges, the rings never come into contact with the port).

The reed port is also supposed to be approximately 5mm wide and at a shallow angle aiming toward the top of the cylinder so as to not blow the side transfers straight out, but rather drag the flow up, and through the middle toward the exhaust to improve scavenging. The boost port is smaller so it has more pressure, so exhaust gases wont want to melt your reeds. A good idea is to stuff the crank case after reed porting to keep your pressures up, with the extra port, the transfer pressures drop.

However I would have opted for the piston window rather than that huge transfer, simply because of the weight reduction reducing vibrations, and allowing gas/oil to blow by and lubricate and cool your wrist bushing/bearing.

Still looks beautiful like that, I wish I had the money to do stuff like that.