chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

noob

Sep 26, 2008
Phoenix
i was fiddling with some stuff on my bike and 5 miles down the road my idler pulley came off... ididnt tighten it down enough. where can iget a new pulley

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I really like the one that ThatsDax sells. I replaced the one that came with my kit with theirs. It has a ball bearing in it that made things run smoother for me. Some other people remove the tensioner altogether.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm pretty fond of the skateboard wheel too I thin them on the lathe and cut off the outer rubber or what ever that stuff is then make a little shoulder on each side seems to work very good.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I grind the groove the old fashioned (or hard) way- on a bench grinder.

Hey Norman- I never knew there was an "outer tire" on those things and I was grinding the groove into my first one and the "re-tread" flew off like a road gator from a 100mph semi!

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Ive Kept Mine Pretty Tight With Half Links And I Do A Lot Tire Burning For All The 24 Year Old Kids Standing Out Side The Hardware Store When They Ask "how Much Power Does That Thing Make?"

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
is there a downside to going without the tensioner??
Compared to the stock chain tensioner, I have found absolutely no downside to going without the tensioner. In my case, the stock chain seemed to be stretching bad the first 100 miles WITH the stock tensioner but immediately quit as soon as I removed the tensioner. I cannot comment on spring loaded tensioners because I have not tried them.

When I was using the stock tensioner without any mods it was a pain to adjust the chain. After adopting the "T-Shirt" solution posted by MotorbikeMike I found it much simpler to drop in 1/8" shims to dial in the chain length and have not had to adjust it in the 200-300 miles since then. Not only that, but my chain has run quieter and I no longer worry about the chain getting thrown from the sprocket.

http://motorbicycling.com/f6/incremental-chain-tensioning-chain-management-265.html

Some guys use nuts, half links, or other stuff for spacers but I found it worth the $3.00 strip of 1/8" flat stock from my friendly neighborhood hardware store and about 5 minutes work with a hacksaw to make the T-Shirts: