HT Bicycle Engine "80cc" Horsepower?

GoldenMotor.com

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Re: HT "80cc" Horsepower?

a figure I saw bandied about was 2.2hp - but to be honest the quality is so variable on some of them it could be anything - although I think 5 hp would be pushing it.

There have been 50cc engines with upwards of 6hp - I'd love to make a frame mount with the fantic engine and 6 speed transmission - that would fly..

Jemma xx

Reactions: junglepig

Revorunner

Sep 8, 2008

a figure I saw bandied about was 2.2hp - but to be honest the quality is so variable on some of them it could be anything - although I think 5 hp would be pushing it.

There have been 50cc engines with upwards of 6hp - I'd love to make a frame mount with the fantic engine and 6 speed transmission - that would fly..

Jemma xx

Hi,

I'm new to the fourm,just curious about the six speed transmission you mentioned.Do you have any pics of it or a website that I can get more info of it?:):)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

I think the Morini 50cc motor even comes in a 12hp version :)

As for the transmission, I'm not familiar with the one Jemma mentioned. However, SickBikeParts sells a kit to use the gears on your bike to drive the motor. See their ad on the left.

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008

has 2-3 horsepower....but if you do mods it can go up....although, the motor will only handle 6 horspower max before things start getting broken within the motor

Revorunner

Sep 8, 2008

As for the transmission, I'm not familiar with the one Jemma mentioned. However, SickBikeParts sells a kit to use the gears on your bike to drive the motor. See their ad on the left.
Thanks for the info.(^)

Revorunner

Sep 8, 2008

Hello Revorunner, Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :)
:ride2:

Thanks,

I have been lurking around this fourm for awhile now doing research on building a motorized bike.

Still undecided on what motor to get though.Leaning towards the Honda 50cc.:ride2:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK

Hi,

I'm new to the fourm,just curious about the six speed transmission you mentioned.Do you have any pics of it or a website that I can get more info of it?:):)
Its not a separate transmission as such. The Fantic TI sportmoped had a completely deranged motor coupled to a 6 speed tranmission in the casing ala the standard motorcycle practice.

However.... this could be made, or at least something similiar could be. The shifter kit that pablo does is a great idea, but all the cassettes for derailliers are for cycling speeds... so you might get several ratios but you are limited to the available ratios that are fairly shallow for a motor vehicle because they are designed for pedalling.

To get a fantic-esque type of performance you would need to make up a cluster that has ratios more suited to an engine application than a pedalled one. A good trick would be a low first and second ratio (in case of emergency cycling) and then a gap to higher ratios that are more motor friendly.

However as compared with the CIF engines the Fantic mill was impressive to say the least. Below 50ccs displacement - 12:1 compression ratio (the CIF are something along the lines of 7:1) and either a 14mm dellorto carb (6.5hp) or a 19mm carb running the motor up to 7.2hp.

The only engine that comes close really is the morini engine that some have used on here and that so far as I know doesnt have an integral transmission.

hope that helped

Jemma xx

Last edited:

Revorunner

Sep 8, 2008

Its not a separate transmission as such. The Fantic TI sportmoped had a completely deranged motor coupled to a 6 speed tranmission in the casing ala the standard motorcycle practice.

However.... this could be made, or at least something similiar could be. The shifter kit that pablo does is a great idea, but all the cassettes for derailliers are for cycling speeds... so you might get several ratios but you are limited to the available ratios that are fairly shallow for a motor vehicle because they are designed for pedalling.

To get a fantic-esque type of performance you would need to make up a cluster that has ratios more suited to an engine application than a pedalled one. A good trick would be a low first and second ratio (in case of emergency cycling) and then a gap to higher ratios that are more motor friendly.

However as compared with the CIF engines the Fantic mill was impressive to say the least. Below 50ccs displacement - 12:1 compression ratio (the CIF are something along the lines of 7:1) and either a 14mm dellorto carb (6.5hp) or a 19mm carb running the motor up to 7.2hp.

The only engine that comes close really is the morini engine that some have used on here and that so far as I know doesnt have an integral transmission.

hope that helped

Jemma xx
Thanks for the info Jemma,that's alot of horsepower for a bike.:D:D

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

HI All,

Although it is a little more expensive, you could use a SRAM Dual Drive hub....A three speed internal trans (can shift while at a standstill) coupled with a cassette....all on the rear wheel...Lots of gearing there!

Andrew

BCD

Aug 8, 2008

Too bad someone doesn't reverse engineer a 3 speed hub to work off the "other" side and we'd all have 3 speeds to play with. all internal, shift at a stop... Ahem... I'm sure that no one HERE is good enough to do that... (maybe someone a whole lot smarter than me will take this up as a challenge and my diabolical plan will be a success... MUHAHHAHAAHAH)

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida

This device you speak of on Sick bike Parts is 199.00?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Too bad someone doesn't reverse engineer a 3 speed hub to work off the "other" side and we'd all have 3 speeds to play with. all internal, shift at a stop... Ahem... I'm sure that no one HERE is good enough to do that... (maybe someone a whole lot smarter than me will take this up as a challenge and my diabolical plan will be a success... MUHAHHAHAAHAH)
Hi BCD, this is about a flip flop hub. but Spad said BMX chain is not a good choice. But the sprocket could be fixed to the wheel sprocket or vice verca with the right equipment;

Flip-flop Hubs

Flip-flop, or double-sided hubs are threaded on both sides. Usually one side has a track-type threading, (with lockring) and the other side is threaded for a single-speed standard freewheel.

The usual way to use a flip-flop hub is to have a fixed gear on one side, and a single-speed freewheel on the other. The freewheel sprocket would be larger than the fixed sprocket, providing a lower gear.

You would use the fixed-gear side for most pavement riding, and save the freewheel for off-road use, or for getting you home when you are tired. Having the freewheel larger than the fixed sprocket gives you a lower gear when you are using the freewheel. This makes it easier to climb. Since you can coast when you are using the freewheel, the lower gear is no disadvantage on the descents.

Single-speed freewheels are commonly used on BMX bicycles, most shops that deal in BMX parts should stock them. The common size used for BMX is 16 tooth, but 17, 18, 20 and 22 tooth freewheels are available.

Note, there are two types of hubs called "flip-flop":

Fixed/free, this is the type I speak of above, with a "track" side and a freewheel side.
BMX type...BMX flip-flop hubs have two different freewheel threads, a standard one on one side, and a special smaller-diameter freewheel thread on the other, designed to work with special small freewheels (14, 15 teeth.) These are now quite rare, but if you are calling around looking for "flip-flop" hubs, make sure you get the right kind.
Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions by Sheldon Brown
If I got you right. :bike2:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

The SBP Shift Kit is 1 Shifter kit $199.50 plus about $20.00 shipping
Sick Bike Parts Products
This kit is not for the less experienced mechanic but is a fabulous way to get gears to keep the motor working where it likes to be and still go the speed you like from about 5 to 40 mph. No luggung or over revving.