100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Opti-2 is for real. I've been running it at 100:1 after one tank of standard synthetic oil. After the switchover you could tell when the new fuel got to the motor. No smoke and the engine started running much better even with this CNS v2 carb. (breather to bowl tube removed). I can't say there has been much of a top end speed difference but acceleration is noticeably better and the engine is more free revving. Carb still needs some minor adjusting on top end. Innerlube referred me to a local "Do it best" hardware store. They had the 12 oz bottles for 9.99

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A brand new China engine, just beginning it's life, should be left alone to 4-stroke a bit until the break in is completed. Things will change within the engine as it breaks in and you will need to tune it up after break in anyways, so why make twice the work for yourself and tune it twice?

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I agree with gearnut. With my new motors I just do the normal to increase air flow port matching and better air filter the adjust the e-clip to the leanest setting which is still rich with the opti, but leave it there for break in. Then after break in I really tune it. I also run it pretty hard during break-in so the extra richness helps protect it a little.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Given the length of this thread, I never would have imagined I had something to add that has not already been said. That is, until I stopped by a Tractor Supply Co. store today...

For everyone saying they cannot find Opti2 locally, TSC may be another option. In their mower / chainsaw / trimmer section they had little packets of 2-cycle oil that looked suspiciously like the 1.8oz opti packs. The label says "Arnold" brand universal 2-cycle lubricant, but the instructions are the same as opti (that is 1.8 oz pack into 1 gal). Also the back of the label says "manufactured for Arnold by Interlube International Inc." the makers of Opti.

Sounds like the same stuff to me.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
This is interesting. I am a proponent of 2 stroke economy cars for America, and wonder if this could pave the way for them. I think something similar to the VW Bug would be a big hit right now (yes I know that is 4x engine, I mean something of a similar size, with a 2x simplified engine, going for a bare bones approach.)
I would love to have a small car with a very simple engine, no AC or electric windows and crap to mess up, just a eco-box with high fuel mileage.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I know pablo, but I'm sure YOU of all people understand the value of being an intrepid experimenter :D.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I tried reading this whole L-O-N-G thread! I didn't make it. :-(

I have a fairly new motor, less than 500 miles on it. I just checked the compression and got 80psi with one pull of the rope. What I was looking for is how the carb should be set up using the 100:1 mix. BTW, I have been using this mix.

Terry

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
If you have the NT carb and NO expansion chamber you will use less fuel than if you have an expansion chamber, so, I say, try the leanest condition, highest notch in the needle, and read your plug, then go from there. You may need to re-jet

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Which carb are you using?
What elevation are you at?

Before you start messing with the jet size.
what position do you have the clip on the needle?

First try raising the clip up one groove at a time to lean it out.
If it's an NT carb try a 68, or 66. Stock is about a 70

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Thanks guys! I guess I should have said everything was stock. I'll order a couple of new jets to have on hand just in case. In the mean time I'll try adjusting the needle.

Terry