will a high performance plug help start my bike better

GoldenMotor.com

kbazzy

Aug 1, 2014
Dearborn
This is my 4th bike and it doesn't start as good as my first bike. Sometimes I have to use started fluid. will a better plug help

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
probably not - unless the engine is very new and just needs more time to run in, I'd say that if it won't start with a bit of choke, then you have some more serious problem - most likely a leak somewhere

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
High dollar, overpriced spark plugs are designed, made and marketed for high milage, not performance. Especially when you're talking about a simple little 2 or 4 stroke bicycle engine.
In other words, a spark is a spark is a spark. If you plug fires that's all that is needed to ignite the fuel air charge in the cylinder.

Spark plug gap does play into it. We recommend .024 to .028 as a good rule of thumb to start with. What is more important is the high voltage connection from the plug wire to the plug. The kit spark plug boot could be part of your problem. Replace it with a good automotive grade boot and assure the electrical connection is good. You'll need a new plug, one with the top cap installed so you're not relying on the small threads at the top of your plug to make a good connection.

What is your fuel/oil ratio? If you're mixing at 16:1 that's a bit oil heavy and can impact starting. 24 or even 32:1 is a better option.

Using an occasional squirt of starting fluid won't hurt but do you really want to carry a spray can around with you all the time?

Others will have more ideas and opinions.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree... there's no such thing as a high performance spark plug... there are better plugs that'll last a lot longer but there's no plug out there that can add more power to your engine. The gap plays a big role in how easy these are to start as well since these ignition systems don't put out a super high voltage so keeping your gap in the .024 to .028" range will help it start a lot easier. Also a brand new engine will be a bit hard to start at first but will become easier as you put more miles on the engine. I use starting fluid when it's really cold in the morning but just a quick shot, it's best to get it so the start fluid isn't needed at all.
Your fuel ratio at 16:1 is way too much oil and this also makes an engine really hard to start not to mention it can foul the plug and of course it wastes oil. Just like Tom said, 24:1 or even 32:1 is perfectly safe and has been used by most of us for a successful break in, it's most important to not let your engine get too hot during the first 2 tanks... I usually keep my outings under 10 minutes for the first tank and under 15 minutes for the second tank, then after I feel the engine start to get stronger after the second tank I know it's safe to run it longer.
I would also follow Tom's advice on replacing the stock boot with an automotive type boot since this is a very well known problem area on these engines.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Everybody covered everything I think, But check yer carb intake for leaks. And starter fluid is not really too good for a two stroke. Once in a while shouldn't hurt it. But every time ya squirt it all the lube gets washed off the cylinder.SO, just use it as little as possible. The more ya run it the easier it should get to start. You'll probably notice the difference after break in.
fatdaddy.usflg

48ccFury

Apr 19, 2015
NY
I have no advice to offer for spark plugs, as I am still researching a good replacement for the stock plug myself.

However, I will say that when I moved the needle up one notch leaner, starting the bike took a lot less runway. Used to be I would have to pedal past 4 or 5 houses before it would catch, now it catches before I pass my neighbor's driveway.