Bike tries to start but doesn't

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
China girl two stroke

Well, I get some gas and mixed it up.

First the fuel line was leaking so I fixed it, then the fuel wasn't feeding from my glass filter, probably due to the angle, so I redid the line directly with no incline.

Then the feel wasn't feeding from the petcock, so I switched petcocks, same problem. I removed the filter on the petcock and now it feeds.

I tried starting the bike for an hour riding up and don't the hill, I stopped because I was too exhausted riding up and down the hill in the heat with the heavy bike.

It would kick on and try to sort but wouldn't stay on, I turned the throttle when it started building it wouldn't stay on.

I unplugged the kill switch wires, just in case tightened the spark plug, replaced the spark plug an checked the spark plug boot.

The choke was up, I primed the engine.

So disappointed. Going to bed, work tonight.

Lmk if you have any ideas of if anyone local can help.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
maybe motor got full of fuel when working on petcock - maybe it doesn't need the choke up - maybe head gasket is leaking

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Remove the plug, and check for spark, as well as clearing the cylinder. Try again with 3/4 choke, or even less.

Don't prime it.

Let us know what happens.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What do you mean you 'primed' it?
Do you mean you pushed down the button on the top of an NT carb?

All the button does is hold the floats down so fuel pours into your carb until you let off which usually leads to fuel either pouring into the cylinder or the air cleaner.

I suggest as a first step turn the fuel off, pull your plug, and with the choke open pedal it up and down the street to blow out any fuel in the crankcase.
It's easy with no compression.

Then check your fuel.
Is it a brand new gallon of good gas with 5.4oz (2/3 cup) 25:1 2-stroke oil in it?

When you are ready to try it again just 1/2 a choke if any is all you need and you don't need to flood it with the carb primer button.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I tried again today but nothing, I just saw your post so I'll try tomorrow with the choke off and plug removed.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Tried again with no choke, same thing. Poor baby tries to start but she can't.

I cut off the crimps and spliced the wires together. I'm going to solder them later.

Same thing, tries to start but can't.

But, I noticed I felt exhuast on my calf, which is unusual because my exhuast points to the ground.

I noticed this

Have those acorn nuts as tight as they're going to go, I'm going to order new nuts so I can tighten the head flush.

I hope one of you tell me those is my problem all along

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
DO NOT tighten the head nuts, "as tight as they will go". You need to buy or borrow a torque wrench. Those are only 8mm studs and nuts. Torque them to 120 to 140 inch pounds. Tighter than that and you'll probably twist the studs out of the case. Then you'll have bigger problems that you have now.

Also take the advice to 'lap' the cylinder head with sandpaper and glass to assure you have a flat gasket surface.

Solder those wire splices and protect them with heat shrink tubing. Get ride of the kit supplied spark plug boot. That's probably your problem now. Replace it with a good automotive quality boot and throw the kit one in the trash where it belongs.

Confirm you have fuel flowing from the tank to the carburetor.

Did you go through the check list I posted for you in post #3 ?

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if there is no leakage near the head gasket, then it isn't leaking

the slight air-gap you see at the gasket is due to a compression band molded into the head that increases the pounds per square inch on the seating surface

if you sand off this band, you will actually lose force on the gasket

run a paper towel all over the engine to see fi oil is seeping out somewhere - even if head isn't leaking & seals aren't leaking you could have loose case bolts that will keep it from starting, so look for seepage at case seams