Bike hard to start and won't idle

GoldenMotor.com

angryteabag

Jul 29, 2014
New Zealand

Bought this bike second hand, it came with no carb.

Bought a stock NT carb, pin is in the middle config, jets are clean and it's in perfect health.

The bike will only start when the throttle is wide open and I spray petrol/oil in the air intake of the carb.

Video of me trying to get it working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt291A_C4KI&feature=youtu.be

I managed to get it started after the video and it ran fine for a minute or 2 and only died when i released the throttle. Used the spray bottle to put gas in the air intake. Nothing has been modified.

It's not ported, it hasn't had the pistons modified. nothing. No suspicious oil in the magnito cover, no oil where the gears are.

The carb seems to be working, there are no leaks (I'm pretty sure) because the bike doesn't surge and everything from the carb to the intake manifold is now covered in gasket goo.

Could the engine have a blown bearing? Have I not tightened the head enough (Don't want to strip the bolts - that's too easy with these)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It sounds like debris in the carb, I would disassemble it and clean it, make sure the main jet is tight. How old is the fuel mix? Fresh fuel is a must, if you don't know drain the tank and mix a fresh gallon with good two cycle oil for air cooled engines. By the way WELCOME to the forum.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no idea how many miles are on motor, but when new, they often are very rich and will only idle if the screw is all the way in - drop the needle to its leanest position and see if that helps (also check that your choke is working & in the off position once it fires a bit)

Something else to consider, That fuel filter and the position it sits and where the outlet hose is, Can't tell by video. But It looks like the engine is starving for fuel, And that sideways filter might be the culprit. Try shortening the last hose a little to get a more downward angle for the out let hose. And check that idle screw, 2Door suggested that to me and It cleared the idle up a bit. What kind of 2 cycle oil are you using and what ratio?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wish folks would respond to the suggestions we offer. It would be nice to hear back from them when they post a troubleshooting question and get several good replies. It's just common courtesy. Don't you think?

Tom