Raw 80cc

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
To the_edge150 and Venice Boy; Do any of the 'raw' engines you have bought/used come with a decal on the side saying anything about the Jiangdu factory? Thats what mine had. I suppose the sticker is supposed to be an emissions compliance label. Like I said, my motor came from bikeberry which is supposedly a 'raw' engine. Here is a web page about Jiangdu engines.
JIANGDU FLYING HORSE GASOLINE ENGINE FACTORY

:confused:

BikeBerry.com

Dealer
Nov 7, 2008
California
www.bikeberry.com
Hello All,

Jack from BikeBerry.com here. Just to clarify, we are not affiliated with Zone8Cycling and no longer carry raw brand bicycle engine kits.

We currently carry 4 different models of bicycle engine kits. We carry 2 motors, manufactured by Jiangdu Flying Horse Gasoline Engine Factory. We offer a standard silver kit as well as a standard black kit from Flying Horse.

We also carry the Grubee Skyhawk brand of bicycle engine kits. We offer a 48cc Grubee Skyhawk engine as well as a 80cc Grubee Skyhawk Engine.

Stay tuned, we do expect to offer a 80cc pull start engine as well as a 4 stock engine in the very near future!

We also offer an industry leading 6 month warranty with all of our kits!

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
So what factory in China makes the Raw engines? Is Raw the name from China, or is that something a vendor made up? Does that make sense? I will have to do some searching, but I wonder if there is a database on this site with all (or as many as possible) the factories in China that produce these little engines that could? Hey...the little engine that could! Thats my new name for these little motors! I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can! Sounds like one of my little engines trying to pull my fat rear up a steep hill! I never really liked the 'Happy Time' moniker anyhow.........

Jack

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
One question I have about zone8cyling....Do they backup the 6 month warranty on the engine if anything goes wrong with it??anything within reason anyways,you know like not running it to lean and burning up the engine....The problems I have had in the past with all the engines was the copper bushing connecting to the piston....Now that they are all needle bearings I think everything else on all the motors I have had have held up fine....

Last edited:

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
to be exact if i didn't clarify, zone 8 is the main distributor/importer of RAW. they used to be everydaymotors. (i've been a nuisance to all the distributors in this area :D)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So am I to understand that RAW and Flying Horse are the same motor? Bottom line, is it a good engine or not? Coming from Zone 8 posts make it sound like junk, as in Brett Maverick's experience. I have read positive posts regarding the RAW engines coming from Bikeberry..."great engine". So which is it? Good engine or junk? I think it would be really helpful if there was a way to determine which companies were making which engines. Referring to an engine by the name of the seller in the USA can be really confusing. It stands to reason that one company may have better quality control than another, or more experienced workers... they really can't all be the same. So where do Thatsdax engines come from... or boygofast? Granted one seller may give better service than another and is important, but it would also be good to know who is making what motors. We may start seeing a pattern with a particular company selling bottom line junk as opposed to ones selling better quality junk... haha, I'm laughing here, but seriously they can't all be the same.
Silverbear

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
So am I to understand that RAW and Flying Horse are the same motor? Bottom line, is it a good engine or not? Coming from Zone 8 posts make it sound like junk, as in Brett Maverick's experience. I have read positive posts regarding the RAW engines coming from Bikeberry..."great engine". So which is it? Good engine or junk? I think it would be really helpful if there was a way to determine which companies were making which engines. Referring to an engine by the name of the seller in the USA can be really confusing. It stands to reason that one company may have better quality control than another, or more experienced workers... they really can't all be the same. So where do Thatsdax engines come from... or boygofast? Granted one seller may give better service than another and is important, but it would also be good to know who is making what motors. We may start seeing a pattern with a particular company selling bottom line junk as opposed to ones selling better quality junk... haha, I'm laughing here, but seriously they can't all be the same.
Silverbear
Exactally,if we can find out who is selling what engines and what engines are good then we know who to buy from....
John

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No two engines are the same and they are all like buying a pig in a poke. You never know what you'll get.

Thatsdax offers supreme customer service.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Bought RAW 49cc from Zone8. Have over 400 miles on it. NO ISSUES with motor, they replaced my throttle grip when I first bought the motor.

One motor does not make them good or bad. My 2 cents.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
No two engines are the same and they are all like buying a pig in a poke. You never know what you'll get.

Thatsdax offers supreme customer service.
I imagine you know more about this than I do, but it still seems to me that there must be some differences between the quality of one company verses that of another. Maybe one has a better manager, or more of an attempt is made at quality control. Granted none of this is fine machinery, but some must hold up better than others. If Chinese were less foreign to us we might notice more about where the motors come from... which manufacturer. I can remember "Flying Horse". but not something with a Chinese name. I bet the Chinese who buy and use these have a sense of what company is good and what company should be avoided. Aren't they in competition with each other for business? I wonder if it is similar to how Chinese find westerners "look alike". We find that incredible since we see how different we look from each other. Yet many of us think Chinese or orientals in general look alike. I have run into the same kind of thinking regarding American Indians looking alike. We don't look alike. Once you start really looking you can see the differences with us and the same must be true of Chinese. Maybe we don't see differences with these motors, because we aren't really looking and have already decided they are all cheap. I think from know on when I enquire about a motor from a distributor I'm going to ask questions about the company they are buying from. Who are they? Been in business long? If we start paying attention we may find better motors and through our purchases reward better quality. I guess I don't want to think they are all the same. I want to think some little factory is trying harder to make reliable motors. Until I know better I'll choose to believe that and be on the lookout.
Silverbear

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
We seem to be missing the point. One chinese factory is not necessarily "better" than another. The same factory will ship gems or junk depending on what the buyer lets them get away with. And also the more you pay generally the higher the QC. I spent considerable time in Shen Zhen overseeing QC and production (not engines). It was like herding cats.

IMO vendors like DAX and Zoom are superior, not because they have better factories, but rather better customer service and work closer with the mfg..

PS all earthlings look alike to me.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
We seem to be missing the point. One chinese factory is not necessarily "better" than another. The same factory will ship gems or junk depending on what the buyer lets them get away with. And also the more you pay generally the higher the QC. I spent considerable time in Shen Zhen overseeing QC and production (not engines). It was like herding cats.

IMO vendors like DAX and Zoom are superior, not because they have better factories, but rather better customer service and work closer with the mfg..

PS all earthlings look alike to me.
Xlite,
I see your point and made the error in imagining that businesses there are much like businesses here. So the same company can produce both total junk and also pretty good stuff and will save the good stuff for the distributor who demands it and is watching, while the other stuff goes to whoever is willing to buy it. Something like that. Well, that kind of clears that up. I guess we really are dependent on having a reliable vender such as those you mentioned. It is surely worth a little extra money. Its kind of funny that we look at the price of the motor and shipping and compare like crazy wanting to get the lowest possible price, then spend with abandon on more comfy seats, better carbs, springer forks, a different exhaust, add a slant head, maybe a pull start, cool looking lights, etc. But we don't want to spend anything on customer service or being able to return a junk motor for a replacement. I'd like the assurance that a motor is a good one and is going to do it's stuff right out of the box, but it sounds like you might get lucky and you might not. Since it is a gamble, having an insurance policy of sorts (good customer service & replacement policy) is a wise thing and money well spent. I see Thatsdax has a ninety day warranty. Pretty good!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
It is surely worth a little extra money. Its kind of funny that we look at the price of the motor and shipping and compare like crazy wanting to get the lowest possible price, then spend with abandon on more comfy seats, better carbs, springer forks, a different exhaust, add a slant head, maybe a pull start, cool looking lights, etc. But we don't want to spend anything on customer service or being able to return a junk motor for a replacement.
You know what's REALLY funny.... the ones I had best luck with (Dax, Zoom, BGF) were also the lowest cost. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.