fat tires

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
I would like to build a fat tire bike using an IGH transmission. Does anyone know if there are any IGH hubs that have the 64 hole hub (32 holes on each side)?

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
It is/was going to be a new build on a Gta 2 frame. Just can find hubs for a 64 hole wheel, like the surley rabit hole rim. Its a shame.........might have to go another direction if I can find a hub like that

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yeah find a 32h but make sure it is high flange and drill it out double. If it is an aluminum hub you should have at least 5/16" between adjacent holes after you drill them. Better to use a steel hub. I did this to a 36h hub, drilled to 72h so I could lace a 48 spoke rim. One of the flanges broke at the hole in when my chain jumped though, so I had to improvise and I used a much longer spoke from 5 or 6 holes farther to fix it. Wouldn't do it again as it weakens the flange too much.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59790

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
You don't need to use all holes... I am an avid fatbiker so I can explain all this....in the beginning of fatbikes the only thing you could get had a massive offset, so that the cassette was exposed and could be used reliably. IE a full cassette with no chain rub. To achieve this offset the rim had to be drilled offset as well so that you could get even spoke tension (17mm for up to 4" tire 30mm for a 5"). Hence the 64 holes since 32 is the standard for a pedal wheel in the recreational MTB world. The front uses every other hole on both sides of the wheel to create a symmetrical dished wheel with even spoke tension............. Now we have 170-190 hubs instead of maxed at 135 so doing that isn't needed anymore

Last edited:

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
You don't need to use all holes... I am an avid fatbiker so I can explain all this....in the beginning of fatbikes the only thing you could get had a massive offset, so that the cassette was exposed and could be used reliably. IE a full cassette with no chain rub. To achieve this offset the rim had to be drilled offset as well so that you could get even spoke tension (17mm for up to 4" tire 30mm for a 5"). Hence the 64 holes since 32 is the standard for a pedal wheel in the recreational MTB world. The front uses every other hole on both sides of the wheel to create a symmetrical dished wheel with even spoke tension............. Now we have 170-190 hubs instead of maxed at 135 so doing that isn't needed anymore
So if the tire was offset, like 15 or 30 mm, how would that work for the brakes. Just thinking about disc brakes and if the wheel was off set that much, would it affect the disc caliper. Would it still be possible to use a disc brake with such an offset?

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
just for refference...any tire larger 3" requires a special frame...i dont think you can fit much more then a 3" on a 50mm rim in the gt2 frame...the pics are from my 2 surly pugsleys...the only way ive figured out to put a motor on a actual fatbike was too use a shift kit (wich is happening soon...but thats another thread)