Beach Cruiser Handle Bars?

GoldenMotor.com

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I'm combining parts from a Genesis Onex and Genisis Mt bike to create the base bike for my build. I really like the look of the Onex handlebars but they are 1" diameter so the hand controls wont fit. I'd also like to use the 1 1/4" clamp from the Mt Bike because it's a 4 bolt and much stronger. It also mounts the suspension fork nicely :)

Sooooo, my Q is...........Does anyone make a beach cruiser style handlebar with the same diameter specs as Mt. Bike handle bars?? 7/8" dia. at the ends and 1 1/4 at the clamp area??

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Almost any regular handlebar will fit, the genesis gooseneck works with regular bars too, they just make theirs without the bulge at the clamping point. Just swap to the gooseneck from another bike if the genesis mtb neck is too big.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Almost any regular handlebar will fit, the genesis gooseneck works with regular bars too, they just make theirs without the bulge at the clamping point. Just swap to the gooseneck from another bike if the genesis mtb neck is too big.
Maybe I'm missing something but all the beach cruiser bars I see on the internet are 1" like the Onex ones. Too small for my gooseneck clamp and too big for the mt bike controls to fit. They are 7/8" dia :(

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maybe I'm missing something but all the beach cruiser bars I see on the internet are 1" like the Onex ones. Too small for my gooseneck clamp and too big for the mt bike controls to fit. They are 7/8" dia :(
Most cruiser bars are 1" AT THE GOOSENECK where the clamp is. The rest of the bar is standard "7/8. The Genesis bars fit a normal gooseneck just fine.(although you may have to remove the bolt and open the clamp a bit for bends to slip through) I use them on a LaJolla cruiser with no handlebar controls, so I swapped out the the LaJolla bar for this reason while building a Genesis cruiser for a customer. I simply installed the LaJolla bars to allow the controls to fit the Genesis, and used the 1" Genesis bars on the LaJolla, no problem.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
OK. I'm understanding the cruiser bar thing now. I just wanted to use the big clamp I had because of all the things on these two chinese bikes, IT was the most substantial looking!! LOL!! I'm going to order some 1"- 7/8" bars and find a good used clamp at my LBS.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
These felt bars are my favorite and are 22.2mm which is 7/8".........ya just have to shim them at the stem (gooseneck) if it's too loose. Great bars for $20.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've shimmed stems before and never had much luck doing it. Of course, I rode much faster back then...

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Nice build scotto! I like your motor mounts. I appreciate the info guys. I really like the look and feel of the stock Onex bars so I'll be looking for something like that with the right diameters. I'm steeling a Mt Bike bar from my girlfriends son tonight, just so I can have something to hold on to while I work on the rest of my build. He has all sorts of parts sitting around :) Combining the two bikes has been fun. The next problem is at the other end, the rear gearset and deraleur. I have to make a mount and squeeze everything into the coaster brake space. Fun fun fun!!!!!!

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I've shimmed stems before and never had much luck doing it. Of course, I rode much faster back then...
That's my concern. No matter how tight I made the stock Onex clamp, that long 1" dia bar moved, especially when I stood up to pedal. I'm not exactly a lightweight but the handlebars need to stay put!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yes! I ended up swapping the ONEX bar for a LaJolla womens alum cruiser I had laying around. Slightly narrower but still worked great on the ONEX stem. The ONEX works in the LaJolla too after opening the stem to allow the bigger bars to slide past the bends. WIN!