Building a Micargi Mustang GTS-Any Tips?

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks! I honestly got so sick of running the little kit engines so hard, I wanted to add a little umph to it. I ride about 30miles roundtrip to work and it is wide open to do 32-35mph. That speed is ok with me, but I don't want to run the little engines that hard. Around 30mph in the mid throttle range is what I'm going for.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks! I honestly got so sick of running the little kit engines so hard, I wanted to add a little umph to it. I ride about 30miles roundtrip to work and it is wide open to do 32-35mph. That speed is ok with me, but I don't want to run the little engines that hard. Around 30mph in the mid throttle range is what I'm going for.

You know... you could just use a smaller rear sprocket!! :D

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Yeah, I thought that too. I have tried sprockets and cvt's. Turns out this little HS engine just won't do what I want. I live in a hilly part of Alabama. The small sprocket doesn't work good in this area, that is coupled with my fat a$$.:D

Cruzin

Dec 4, 2009
Fl
I like the disc setup. The pics are much better. Looks like my motor will arrive tomorrow, acording to the tracking number. I think that I will replace the rear bearings before I try to mount the sprocket on the 68 spoke wheels. Everybody's tips will save a lot of trial and error. I am so glad that I stumbled onto this site before I started the project. By the way, what do I need to do to insert pictures into these posts so that I can include build pics.

NYNEOMITE

Oct 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Remember Cruzin - there is no way to get the stock sprocket mount on these 68 spoke rims from Micargi on these GTS cruisers. You will have to buy a new rim that has 36 spokes. They must be divisible by 9 to get the bolts through.

It does seem common place with all the experts to use the hub/sprocket mount from CreativeEngineering - Manic Mechanic. Check with him to see if these will fit through the 68 spokes. I think that's what I am going to do on my other GTS, so let me know if he says they will fit. They are about $50 and work much better than the stock sprocket mount.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
It may not be the best method, but it is possible to get the original sprocket mounted on a 68 spoke hub. I did a little milling out in a couple of places inside the hole of the sprocket and tack welded it to the hub. It can be changed out also, with a little effort and careful working. I really like the 68 spoke wheels. They look great. I did end up changing to a heavy duty hub from bicycle-engines.com for ease of changing sprockets, freewheel, and band brake.

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
you can check pirate cycles here too for a 68 spoke adapter, but you don't need one if you have a metal drill bit and put different mounting holes on that stock sprocket. half my builds have had the 68 spoke deal, and whereas it's time consuming and you need to do the carpentry measure twice drill once routine, if you absolutely MUST have that 68 spoke wheel it is completely possible to do so without spending a wad of cash.

NYNEOMITE

Oct 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Good to know. Thanks. Seems easier for the newbies to get an adapter if they fit. Someone chime in and let us know. The stock sprockets have to be centered perfectly to keep the chain tension - I could just imagine what would happen if I have to drill the holes myself

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
yep. it simply is a matter of careful measuring and a drill press or a sharp metal cutting drill bit and a corded power drill and patience. I simply take the back "c" brace and put the inside points on the edge of the existing holes and use a sharpie to mark the new holes location. I avoid using the center holes as ultimately the middle ones will always have spoke blockage, so 6 mounting screws instead of 9. Haven't had an issue with it yet on the dozen builds yet.. also dremel out the inside main hub hole for a better fit..

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
Theres absolutely no way the three bolt Creative Engineering adapter works with 68 spoke wheels , Pirate Cycles have Creatives 68 spoke adapter tho , I had a lot of trouble trying to make the kit sprocket work with 68 spokes , lost my chain riding home one day , I decided to go to 36 spokes and adaptor , I run a 24 by 3 rear , wide tyres are another issue that causes probs with the kit sprocket.

Cruzin

Dec 4, 2009
Fl
I am going to give it a try with the 68 spoke wheel. I have a drill press and plenty of time to swear at it if necessary. If I understand you correctly, the new holes will be one hole width outward of the originals toward the teeth. My 80cc Zoombicyle kit just arrived today, after I unpack it and look at the sprocket and "c" bracket I might have a better idea of what you mean. I respect your opinion, sounds like you've been there before.
Thanks for the response.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
not quite. about a half inch or so out.. Once you get all the pieces parts in front of you, you should be able to see what I'm talking about. I take the rubber rings for the sprocket mount and cut them to size to match the back "c" bracket of the sprocket..I wish I had a build out to show you, and I can't figure out my girlfriend's new craptacular camera to upload the pics I just took of my smaller ride that has the same 68 spokes.. I'll try to get her to tell me how the technological magic works and get pics up for ya asap..

Cruzin

Dec 4, 2009
Fl
Thanks,
I'll wait for the pics. Tomorrow I'll get to my local bike shop and get a new rear bearing before I get started.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Remember Cruzin - there is no way to get the stock sprocket mount on these 68 spoke rims from Micargi on these GTS cruisers. You will have to buy a new rim that has 36 spokes. They must be divisible by 9 to get the bolts through.

It does seem common place with all the experts to use the hub/sprocket mount from CreativeEngineering - Manic Mechanic. Check with him to see if these will fit through the 68 spokes. I think that's what I am going to do on my other GTS, so let me know if he says they will fit. They are about $50 and work much better than the stock sprocket mount.
they will not fit but i know pirate cycles has the 68 spoke adaptor he is a distributer for creative engineering he has hundreds of creative parts in stock...

NYNEOMITE

Oct 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Momentum - it sounds like you have built quite a few of these GTS's. I think they are the coolest bikes! They are so comfortable to ride and get so much attention. Have you had to make a custom bracket for each bike? It would be awesome if we could get creative to machine a nice custom bracket for these. Match that with his adapter and we could have a bolt on option for us. We could just pick an engine we all agree on (that's another story judging from the closed thread) and mounting would be simple and very clean.

Venice Motor Bikes built mine because I had the engine since Christmas last year and no welder or anything to make the bracket. He rules. Now he just tuned it too and I am flying with my wimpy 50cc. Stats this weekend, but I guarantee I am pulling over 30mph.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
If people could just be nice to each other the thread would still be open. vendors sould work together not against each other it's dumb

NYNEOMITE

Oct 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
If people could just be nice to each other the thread would still be open. vendors sould work together not against each other it's dumb
100% agreed, but sometimes text just doesn't come across correctly. I am guilty of this too, as I just had a post deleted that was totally misunderstood. oops, I'm a newbie. But no vendor, especially sponsors should say anything bad about each other, or to each other.

This forum rules though, and attitudes are much better than 90% of forums out there. I am sure we would all like to go for a ride together.