How To Hook Up Chain From Rear Wheel To Engine

GoldenMotor.com

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Hey,I Can't Figure Out How To Get The Chain Into The Engine Sprocket.. It's Like It Doesn't Fit..
Got Some Pics To Show You Where I'm Stuck..

The Arrow Is Pointing To The Part Where My Chain Can't Fit.. I'm Using The Stock Chain That Came With My Kit..

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
There are 2 ways I have done it, one is to feed the chain through with the master link out. And the other way is I took off the sprocket. Just don't loose the key if you do that.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Remove the spark plug so it's easier to turn, or push the clutch arm over (get a helper) and use the tool to feed the chain through.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Pic 1)With the spark plug removed and the master link off and clutch cover removed start the chain on the sprocket with a few teeth.

Pic 2) With the spark plug tool provided with the kit or a socket and ratchet turn the nut on the sprocket.

Pic 3) Keep turning the sprocket until you have feed the chain enough to were you can reattach it to the other end.

Pic 4) Spark Plug tool provided with most kits

Attachments

Psycle Harry

Jan 19, 2009
Minnesota
But....how do you get the clutch cover OFF? The three (3) screws (bolts) are froze and will not budge. I've used big flat blades, big phillips ..... I have already nicked the screw heads and DO NOT want to do anymore damage. I can get none of the screws to even budge.

I've followed several different instructions but, sheesh, how can something this small be so frustrating?

Please help....anyone.

Thanks....Psycle Harry

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
But....how do you get the clutch cover OFF? The three (3) screws (bolts) are froze and will not budge. I've used big flat blades, big phillips ..... I have already nicked the screw heads and DO NOT want to do anymore damage. I can get none of the screws to even budge.

I've followed several different instructions but, sheesh, how can something this small be so frustrating?

Please help....anyone.

Thanks....Psycle Harry
Well I use a Impact screwdriver but I bet you do not have one.

You could try a little heat with a small propane torch, or get a small chisel and hammer to break them loose. If you do not damage it to bad you might be able to re-use them.

I am sure others will have a better ideal.

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
and dont forget 1 of the screws also has a nut on the back side near clutch lever.
the screws shouldnt be so tight that you cant get them out with a large flat head screwdriver,maybe you need someone with larger arms and a even larger screwdriver.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
you might try an impact driver, the kind you wack with a hammer. be careful to not hit it too hard it is usually best to hit it multiple time to break stuff loose rather than really wail on it and break something, ya know like yer finger. frank

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Well I use a Impact screwdriver but I bet you do not have one.
You could try a little heat with a small propane torch
As mentioned in the other thread I had 100% success with both methods but remember NO GAS OR OIL AROUND WITH THE TORCH! That means enpty out or remove the tank and carb.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
I just used my fingers.. with the cover on..a few times now... and I have girly-hands, wimps.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes, there is more then way to do it. But on some new motors it a little hard to spin it just with your fingers and when you are building a new bike for a customer you do not want to put any nick's anywhere on someone else's ride by using something to spin the sprocket.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
When i tried to unscrew the clutch lever it wouldn't budge at all making the screw heads strip out,defiantly don't want to do that as i did..Take a cloth or rag hold it over the clutch cover and gently tap near each screw with a hammer.Now try to unscrew them putting a little force into the bolts while turning..The cover bolts should come off,if not tap the clutch cover gently again.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
another trick is to turn in the opposite direction first, like you're tightening it. just enough till you feel it crack loose.

for some reason, this actually works to break bolts loose.

also, make sure you have the right size screwdriver.

those bolts are junk. one of mine stripped out the first time i took it off.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
if you are going to wack the screw , be sure to use the proper bit . i find useing one of those all in one handle bits the best . DON,T put the bit in the handle . hit the bit itself .
works better if the bench is nice and solid .
usually only needs on half decent wack to free up a screw .

personally i hate screwdriver head screws and replace them with allen head screws whenever possible .
SLOT HEAD SCREWS SHOULD DE BANNED .
I,d love to know the count of how many people gouged their thumbs decause the slot screwdriver slid out of the slot

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
oops NEVER EVER EVER EVER install or remove a bolt or screw in a hot aluminum or aluminum like alloy , and always clean out the thread and the screws . it only takes one little piece of grit to pick up on the thread and , wallah the thread is toast

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I am lazier than most here it seems o.o

I don't bother taking the cover off, I simply feed a string in over the top of the sprocket and fish it out the bottom with a piece of wire. I then tie the string to the first link of the chain, squeeze the clutch handle, and pull on the string.

Zip - chain feeds onto the sprocket every time. Let go the clutch handle and it locks the chain in place, put in the master link and I'm done ;)

If I were really smart - I'd wear gloves as not to get crap all o'er my hands o_O

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
When I have to pull the chain, which isn't very often I take off the cover. That way I can get dirt and crap out and replace it with a bit of grease.