My cruizer project finally completed

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys thought id share some pics of my first cruizer build , took roughly 4 weeks to complete but the addition of a cable speedo today and a tad more guard reinforcing and she is complete , I've thrown one or two pics in to also highlight the ability for guards to ruin ones day ( shows 3 missing anchor point bolts ) I wasn't even aware these had come loose until my wife pointed it out to me .
I have named this bike Bella ( translates to beautiful) as it's a habit for me to name my bikes ,not sure why if just like to give them some character

This is my second build the first being a mountain bike with a quite poorly made china girl kit ,but man does it go well , I'm not very adept when it comes to mechanical skills but these china girl kits are relatively easy so the learning curve is an easy one

Hope you enjoy the pics
Happy riding all
Regards Henshooter

Attachments

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Three missing anchor points , I wasn't aware of until it was pointed out to me , replaced with nilock nuts and rubber washers to reduce vibration ,seems to have done the job quite well

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
That's a mighty fine looking cruiser you've got! Will there be some upgrades added to it? I can't wait to see the final product!
Certainly will , an expansion chamber exhaust is on the books soon but don't want to upgrade just yet as she is still on break-in time , also adding a better CDI unit and spark plug and if I can ever work out how to tune them a performance carby
I'm still not very adept at porting and such so that looks like a distant project , I get 40 kph out of her ATM and am happy with that so far hoping for another 5 kph after break-in

Thanks Donovan much obliged

Regards hen.shft.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
No problem! Are you thinking of getting the same expansion chamber that I got? It's worth it! Has its own nice sound. I like that speedo, I haven't ever seen one quite like that, the old school ones I have used are a round shape. Still looking good!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Very nice Henshooter,
I wish we were a little closer,
I'd happily help you port a barrel, and Build a pipe.
Where did your motor come from, looks a little like the one I got from Motoworks.
Can you post up a close up of the motor?
I may be able to send you some of my leftover bits'n pieces.
Is your inlet stud spacing 40mm?
Unless your doing a bit of hill climbing, I'd consider a 39t sprocket for a bit more speed.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Very nice Henshooter,
I wish we were a little closer,
I'd happily help you port a barrel, and Build a pipe.
Where did your motor come from, looks a little like the one I got from Motoworks.
Can you post up a close up of the motor?
I may be able to send you some of my leftover bits'n pieces.
Is your inlet stud spacing 40mm?
Unless your doing a bit of hill climbing, I'd consider a 39t sprocket for a bit more speed.
You are correct Theon ,I purchased it from Motoworks ,picked it up though ,and am definitely getting the same exhaust as yours they look great and from what you've said and I've heard sound great too
Relatively sure my stud spacing is 40 mm ,not 100% sure but to eye it certainly looks that way !and a 39 is on the books very soon indeed

Mate it would be great to have someone close to share the hobby with ,glad I found you guys on this forum ,I would rate it one of the best on the net

Kindest regards Henshooter

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Your bike looks great!
I am glad that you were able to fix the fender mounts before they fixed you.
Have you replaced the little angled mount tabs yet? The factory ones will crack through given enough time. They metal they are are made of is too thin.
Please keep a close eye on that clamped on chain tensioner. They have a very bad habit of rotating inwards and customizing the rear wheel's spokes for you. Usually when you are going at top speed.
Not good.

You can spot weld the one you have to the frame.
You can make one that spans the seat stay and chain stay.
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=183782&postcount=4
Make or buy a spring loaded one that bolts over the engine sprocket cover.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24668
You can use shims to move the engine forward on the mounts.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22279
Just to suggest a few...

Just please be careful with that stock POS bolted to your frame.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The motoworks motor I have came with a speed carb, I'd stick to it for now.
The crank is a 38mm with a bushed big end and roller bearing wrist pin bearing with the standard rod/ piston (opposed to gt5 style).
I didn't use this crank initially as I was a little sus' on the bushed big end, however I'm using it now in the motor I'm building for the Softtail. It has a lot of side play on the main bearings and will need shimming. I won't be using it as a high rev'ing motor with the bushed big end.
The short inlet manifold is what gave it away, and I'd look at giving it a longer one for a bit of a lowdown boost.
The exhaust that came with that motor is of reasonable quality, I have been using this exhaust on my bikes and it preforms quite well after match porting it to the exhaust port.
I also drilled a few holes in the outlet pipe, don't know if they made much difference, but the match port made a big difference.
I'd beg, borrow or buy a compression tester, and tell us what compression you have. As increasing the compression ratio a little would be one of my first priority's.
The Barrel with that kit was a little unusual, different to any of my other barrels, with a different angle on the inlet flange, and different port timing.
It required a fair bit taken from the piston skirt to get the inlet timing correct.
When your ready to have a play with the motor, give us a PM and I'll run you through a few things in getting your port timing correct.

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Thanks guys , Theon you meantioned matching the ports , being I'm fairly new to err performance improvements am I correct in thinking I need to match the size of the hole of the exhaust that buts up to the engine with the exhaust output on the engine .
As well I've got a friend that has a compression tester ,from memory my motorized bicycle compression was 120 not sure if that's good or bad , but how do I go about increasing the compression ,sorry to ask ,I'm a tad poobrained when it comes to mods
Oh and I've go a 36 tooth sprocket coming very shortly , I believe the highest gradient we have over my way is something like 10% so hill climbs are not a great issue at all ,thanks again for all the great advice you guys are giving I'm truly great full

Regards Henshooter

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
You may find the 36t a little tall, but that's what I have been using on my modified engines.
39t probably suits a stock motor a little better.
Yes make a 'gasket' that matches your motors exhaust port, bolt it to your exhaust pipe's flange and grind away till both holes are the same shape. Again this made a big improvement.

120 PSI is a little on the low side. I'm usually looking for 150-160 PSI.
I would probably be taking about 1mm out of combined height of Base Gasket/barrel/head gasket.
To do this properly I would start by getting a protractor, this one cost me 60c at the news agent, and with a hole in its 'center' bolts to the mag rotor like that.
Wind your motor to TDC, and see how much below deck is the piston?
I usually then do a 'Squish test' by bolting the head back down and using an appropriate piece of solder in the spark plug hole, bent so that it reaches the side of the barrel.
Turn the motor over and at TDC the solder should get Squished, you should find that with the solder in place, there will be a tight spot a TDC as the piston squishes the solder and the motor will rock either side of this.
Set your protractor to 180/0 to align with a spot on your cases and TDC, As shown in photo.
Remove your head, and turn the motor over till the transfer port is just opening, now what does your protractor read? Do the same with the inlet port and the exhaust port, record your readings.
Exhaust and inlet port timings are fairly easy to modify by opening the ports/trimming the piston, transfers not so easy, unless you change your base gasket thickness.
Now what sort of revs are you trying for?
This is where a little research is in order, as I can't tell you your ideal port timing, but I would be aiming at around 120-125 depending on desired revs.
This is where you experiment with different base gaskets to get the transfer timing your after.
Now what is your inlet opening at with desired base gasket in place?
It should be close to 60, but I doubt it is. so turn your motor over so the protractor reads 60 and scribe a mark on your piston skirt to align with the floor of your inlet port. I then raise the piston and mark the width of the port to the piston. The inlet port will probably still be partially blocked by the piston, but it doesn't matter. So now you know how much to trim your piston by.
The exhaust port timing will be set by how much blow down you want, which will be dependent on desired revs and type of exhaust, again a little research, but I ususally find I only take a mm or so out of the roof of the exhaust port, but widen it a fair bit. Your probably looking for 105 or there abouts for a mild engine.
And a blow down of between 16 and 18 deg.
These are just my recommendations from my research, others opinions may vary and are not necessarily wrong.
Are you going to keep using the angle fire head?
As I personally think they give to much compression if set up with a Squish less than 1mm.
But what is your Squish now? if you have changed your base gasket?
Ideally your Squish is about .8mm with head gasket installed, however with the stock angle fire head I would be aiming closer to 2mm to start with. you may need to deck your barrel to get this, however I'm going to try making a thinner head gasket.
I know this was a long winded answer, but this is the right way to go about it,
And should have you doing a good 60 Kph+. With a 'standard' pipe and a standard carb.
And with a decent pipe you should be able to get 65Kph+, but not all pipes are equal!

Attachments

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I've had good experiences with speed sprockets, the 36 for sure is a good choice. Currently I'm running a 40 tooth. If you're going to be hill climbing, I'd go with a 50 or 54 tooth.