Chief say "how" :)

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
She has a weakness for Tacos! And yes thats the Cycle-Truck getting in the way. :) More pics tomarrow. My Handgrips arrived from Thiland and the carb is on its way back from AGK; gettting bore'd out. The other carb left today for Dan to make a velocity stack :) I have a feeling he'll sell a bunch to the four stroke HS 49cc crowd round here. Mine will be his first for this motor and carb and I'll post lots "O" pics once it comes back.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dang! Dude I really wanted to see it before I left town again and I'll bet Chesty has a weakness for more then just one taco at a time.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
She gets 3. Carni asada and cheese. We have a favorite taquaria down the street. We can sit outside and maow on tacos and she gets a bowel of ice water. :) She's so OLD she can barely walk, but mention tacos and she's out the door to crawl into the Miata; passenger seat removed and replaced with an old memory foam mattress cut to fit. She gets belly rubs going down the road on the way to TACOS! Lying next to Daddy with the top down :) Shes got a pretty good retirement. Better than Im likley to have. The Chief has a bunch of little details I havnt photographed. I'll try to remady that tomarow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
So today; once again, I spent mostly chasing my tail. Tracking down an appropriate length belt and still didnt get it right. Correct belt should be in tomarrow. Just in time for me to go back to work for 3 nights. Well. I did make substantial advancments on the belt tensioner. I cut some one inch square stock to aproximate length and trimed the bottem of the Phantom mount to allow the support to run flat out the back. I drilled access holes and attachment holes in the bottem of the support tube. I then carefully drilled and tapped the holes in the mount for 10x32 allen head screws, keeping the alingment close to what I marked out while it was on the bike.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The tensioner proper is fairly complex. It revolves around a cutdown skateboard wheel. I ran a threaded rod down the middle and using nylocks and washers got it comfortably centered with nylocks inside and outside so hopefully it wont move. The double nylocks are opposed on each side leaving a nice divit for the eyebolt to run in without binding OR ability to slip off the side. Arms cut, shaped and drilled out of 1" flat stock steel make the fulcrum. The primary brace has a pair of bronze bushings supported by a long but perfect length sholder bolt allowing its nylock to be dang tight without binding the whole opperation up. Springs will pull up to the belt and be ancored by opposing adell clamps on the frame behind the seat post but before the seat stay crossbrace. A coupling nut on each side allows for a second pair of eyebolts for the springs to attach to. Rube Goldburg would stand and salute!

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Heres something I mentioned the other day. Phantom is aparently shipping their mounts with this handy adjustment device. You can tighten your chain and or belt by unbolting the exhaust and the motor ( loose not off ) and tighten buy advancing the motor on the plate while the retaining bolts are still in the guide sleeves. Genius!

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Those things look too spikey to work :) The color matches the bike though. Hehheh! Anybody have experience using these things on motorized bicycles ??

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Great work so far. I have Chief too but it's my pedal bike. When I got it, I looked around and couldn't find any example of a 4 stroke build with this bike. A belt drive seems like a good solution to the challenges these fat tire bikes present, still it looks like a tight fit. I know some people go with a shift kit to avoid running a chain on the left past the tire, but I like what you're doing. I can't wait to see it completed.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The initial mock up I was concerned; but lifting the belt with the tensioner, I am now convinced it will clear just fine. The key was having the rear wheel dished as far to the R as possable.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well. Just fine might have been an overstatement. But its gonna work. I think just ONE MILLIMETER wider tires or narrower seat stays and I'd be hosed. But with some fiddeling I got it so it doesnt rub. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!! And dig that crazy Lepper saddle!! This is EASILY the most comfortable saddle I own; and I have Brooks Gyes and Troxel to compare to. Bouncy bouncy comfey comfey!

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I'm again using the condit hangers to confine the drum brake arm as it has held up VERY well against deliberate abuse in the Twin build and shows no sign of failure or distress. This one I painted fairly close to match the bike. I have painted a green one for the Twin a while back, but have not installed it yet. The Secondary belt tensioner is not yet complete but I have all the parts to finish it soon. Bit distracted just now and way too much on my plate. Mother landed in the hospital the other day with some new heart troubles, and am spending most of my time there.

Attachments

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Hey Relodrone

Vary nice build at looks as good as your twin, boy I love the
look of the Cheif , Out standing build!!!!

Bill

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks for the Karma Bill. Angiogram at 7 AM tomarrow. Need to take some pics of the bike. Got a little bit done yesterday and hopefully more today.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I got the belt tensioner sorted yesterday and the 4G adjusted so I could get the belt on. The tensioner turned out really well with only one minor re-do in the length of the arms. Equal spring tension and sturdy. The main support up on the seat stays is just threaded shaft with nylocks locating the springs. The fuel line I had was real shiney stuff and I didnt like that, so I wrapped the hose with friction tape to give it an olde tymey look. Hose clamps hold it in place.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Just another fun shot of the Lepper saddle. love that thing.... Also I have aquired my headlamp. Todays job is to make a bracket and mount the light, also, to tidy up some other little things. Like modify the 4G belt guard and mount that. The lamp I found on RatRod bikes for sale sub-forum. Its about 1955-1960 or there abouts. and in wonderfull shape. it even works!

Attachments