gas tank giving me the blues

GoldenMotor.com

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
check this out. i think ive come up with a redneck solution to this problem

SO i made a bracket (in pic) that i am welding to the frame tomorrow.

Once that is welded onto the top tube i am using two strips of old tire side wall to use inbetween the tank and bracket i made. Drill two holes in each strip and put on the tank. then ill mount it softly enough to avoid vibrations and loc tite the nuts that hold it on.

This would get rid of bad vibes and hopefully work. ill let ya know how it goes

well it wont let me add that pic again . lame. but heres the link.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44576

Attachments

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hey Lamb, from the photos it looks like the curvature of your top tube is too great to allow this type of tank to seat properly. These tanks are designed so that most of the stress is between the length of the tank tunnel and the corresponding length of the top tube. The mounting bolts are simply there to create some grip to hold the tank in position. If the curvature of the tube is too great, when you tighten the bolts they flex inward to compensate for the curve putting excessive stress on the solder joint and invariably the joint fails. It doesn't matter what you do, if that stress is not relieved the same failure will result. When I encountered this on one of my builds I fabricated a bracket that raised both ends of the tank above the highest point on the top tube and after many miles, no leaks. The other alternative is to get a tank with a deeper tunnel, or as has been suggested, get a Whizzer style tank that mounts differently. One thing is certain, a gasoline leak on a vehicle is dangerous. Good luck.scratg

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
You could try making a shaped shim from something like a piece of 1"x2", using a jigsaw to cut an arc into it to match the curve of your top tube. The 'straight' edge the tank sits on might have to have the corners sanded/rounded down a little for a good fit to the tank.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Ok - this is my last attempt imma make with a peanut style tank. I belive that scoot is right and the bend in my toptube is too much for the style tanks I've been useing. Soooooooo I coughed up the cash for a whizzer tank that doesn't use studs in the bottom of the tank to mount. Whizzer tank has straps on the front and back of the tank that look like if they bend it won't crack the tank open and leak. Also has a deeper tunnel and holds a decent amount gas (little under a gal). If this tank doesn't work I'm spending the money on a tank like on the sportsman site. Found a forum member that would build me one for a great price.

I like the look of the peanut tank just hate the problems I've been having. My next choice would deff be behind the seat keg style tank and my third choice would be custom made in frame tank. Ill post an update when I get new tank and mount it up \m/