Dax RT Carb help

GoldenMotor.com

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Ok so I bought a new DAX RT Carb judging fro the reviews out there. Very cool looking carb I must say. Without any adjustment I had much better low end and much quieter. However, high end is total crap. Maybe it's four stroking but I have no idea what that even means.

I've looked everywhere for any good how too's on tuning but can't find any. Do you know of any good videos or guides out there?

Also, I keep buying more and more ****e for this thing in an effort to get it perfect. Do I have some sort of psychological condition? Here's a quick pic of the bike. I replaced the gas tank with a home made deal. Someone out there could make a bundle if they fabricated a better looking gas tank.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ok so I bought a new DAX RT Carb judging fro the reviews out there. Very cool looking carb I must say. Without any adjustment I had much better low end and much quieter. However, high end is total crap. Maybe it's four stroking but I have no idea what that even means.

I've looked everywhere for any good how too's on tuning but can't find any. Do you know of any good videos or guides out there?

Also, I keep buying more and more ****e for this thing in an effort to get it perfect. Do I have some sort of psychological condition? Here's a quick pic of the bike. I replaced the gas tank with a home made deal. Someone out there could make a bundle if they fabricated a better looking gas tank.

I think the DAX carb comes a little rich out of the box. Try a 68 jet, and have a 66 standing by.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I've only had my bike 2 weeks and have already place orders 3 times for stuff for it......

Can we run mikuni carbs on our bikes?? I used them on ultralight planes and they were very adjustable.... Different taper needles and such......

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I put the 65 on (which looked a lot like the sizae of the one already on it) and now if you gun the throttle at idle it boggs. When riding you have to kind of feather it and it's still funny on the top end (also 4-5 mph slower than with the stock carb). Good low end power though. Should I go to the 60? I'm at 600ft MSL

Peter16

Jun 24, 2012
Australia
I am the same, I have had my bike maybe 2 months and every fortnight i seem to have new goodies in the mail lol

May I ask where you bought your mirror from?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I put the 65 on (which looked a lot like the sizae of the one already on it) and now if you gun the throttle at idle it boggs. When riding you have to kind of feather it and it's still funny on the top end (also 4-5 mph slower than with the stock carb). Good low end power though. Should I go to the 60? I'm at 600ft MSL
It shouldn't be running that bad with a 65. What size did it come with, 70? Sounds kind of like something else might be wrong with it.

What fuel ratio?
How does it idle?
What so park plug are you running?
What does the spark plug look like?

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Fuel is 16:1 to 20:1
Idle is ok but not steady steady.
NGK sparkplug suggested from this forum
I hate popping out the plug because it trashes the seal but I guess I need to look. But with this heavy oil mix, isn't it always going to be black until after break in? The one that came with it was totally black when I took it out.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
16:1 is waaay too rich. for some reason, it's still in the manufacturer's instructions, probably as a CYA measure. 16:1 is a throwback from when they used to run straight 30w oil.

32:1 is what most everyone runs with a basic, cheap oil.

the plug's gonna be black no matter how good she runs at 16:1

i wouldn't worry about the crush washer on the plug. i've pulled plugs out plenty of times with no problems, especially since it has some nice soft chinese aluminum to press into.:)

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Well judging from the way I smoked up the neighborhood a few times, you may be right about the oil. I'll cut it. I'll pull the plug, clean it up and see what it does with a better mix. I may go ahead and just try the 60 jet for giggles.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well judging from the way I smoked up the neighborhood a few times, you may be right about the oil. I'll cut it. I'll pull the plug, clean it up and see what it does with a better mix. I may go ahead and just try the 60 jet for giggles.
I wouldn't bother trying to tune it at all till you finish the break in and start running a lighter mix.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Put an offset intake to fit the filter on and found no intake gasket. Put one on and now midrange is great but now if i give it any throttle at idle, which it has trouble with anyway, it boggs and dies. Have a 65 jet on it. Any ideas.