Getting Aero - Speed Gains

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
BarelyAWake,
That EcoMarathon trike body you posted is sweet. Looks like an easy construct too. I like the idea that the side panels double as templates for the seat angle. I remember seeing your vid of 'T3' awhile ago and how awesome I thought it was. Definitely way beyond my abilities at present since I dont weld. The Steintrikes full suspension looks great. Probably a hefty price to pay but worth it if one can't build their own.
I'm actually thinking of building a no-weld tadpole using 4 bikes. By joining two identical bike frames together side-by-side (spaced apart) with matching suspension forks. The space in between the two frames will be where I'll mount my seat on cross beams. Out back another bike frame (or piece of one) with rear suspension for the single rear wheel. Out front center, another bike (or piece of a bike) for its bottom bracket to pedal. Then the rear engine mounted onto the rear swingarm like on '2High' my motorized tall bike. I could use the Eco-marathon trike side panel idea for side support/seat support and cosmetics. I may need to construct a large t-subframe out of square cromo tubing to better support the added frames and my body weight?
Just thinking outside the box here using a dumpster diver approach to building a cheap fully suspended trike platform without welds. Here is a neat trike I found online that is similar to what I was thinking.
-Low-

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Guess I will weigh in here. There are fairings then there are aerodynamic fairings. Anything that reduces drag is a benefit of course, but unless one has access to advanced programs, a wind tunnel or both a design can be a crap shoot. Looks slick doesn't necessarily=slick. The holy grail of aerodynamic shape is one that separates the air, keeps it attached to the shape and puts the flow back together with no turbulence, a tall if not impossible order. A Cd of zero:confused:.
All that said I think a faired bike is an interesting idea. A recumbent would be the best choice to reduce the size of an upright bikes cross wind flat plate, though I think maybe a more efficient fairing could be built for the upright. The flowing air has to be accounted for over the bottom as well as sides and top. The bottom is where most fairings lack. A trike off the get go is going to be harder to achieve a low Cd with just by the shape.
In the real world a practical vehicle probably isn't gonna get real close on the low Cd arena, but surely the benefits of a decently designed shell will increase efficiency of either pedal or motor drive as well as add weather protection.
Being a avid aircraft restorer I would favor a fabric design. Very easy to fabricate in almost any shape, weather proof and properly built just about the lightest and most economical method out there. And with decent finishing skills, very slick.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here's a pic of a bike called a Varna Mephisto. Its one of the winningest fully faired bikes for top speed runs & the hour record attempts. The rider in the pic is Sam Whittingham who has pedaled this bike to over 80 mph on numerous occasions.
Definitely not built for comfort, but very aero & refined.
The faired bikes I've owned were more comfortable road going machines, but no where near as aero as the Varna. My Lightning F40 had a fabric (spandex) body that I wasn't happy with. It flapped in the breeze & was ugly. I replaced the sides & bottom with coroplast for a stiffer more laminar air flow. The bike started out as an unfaired Lightning P38 which I rode everywhere before upgrading to the F40 pkg. which I also rode everywhere, just faster & further. The aero benefits were very real and IMHO worth the effort & $$$. I think the goal for an aero commuter vehicle must be balanced. A compromise between aerodynamics, weather protection & versatility (getting in & out has to be easy). A hinged tilt forward fairing would be cool.
-Low-

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...Being a avid aircraft restorer I would favor a fabric design. Very easy to fabricate in almost any shape, weather proof and properly built just about the lightest and most economical method out there. And with decent finishing skills, very slick.

I've played a bit with Dacron covered ultralights (owned a Quicksilver MX) & while it's good stuff, you're perhaps familiar with industrial shrink wrap products such as these: https://dr-shrink.com/

I've used it rather a lot in the marine industry, not that particular retailer (example) but it's the same group of products, including tape, zippers & even louvered vents. Light, durable, strong, easily repairable & best of all cheap, it does require at least a light framework & isn't puncture resistant, ofc.

I've also had some experience with geodesic airolite boats similar to these: http://gaboats.com/boats/ while those do use Dacron: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cs/dacron.html the shrink wrap is far easier & cheaper to play with, the ultralight boat's internal hull structure plausible as a basis for a velo, with a nice slippery shape;

Being that an areoshell isn't load bearing, it could be constructed out of little more then 1/8" ply stringers, gussets & epoxy - the entire structure likely requiring no more then a 1/2 sheet of ply & a 12'x8' bit of wrap & a chunk of clear plexi ofc... if one had access to cut offs, it'd be a $20 to $40 project or thereabouts, time not included lol

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Oh I forgot to add to my last post that the one leg hole on my 2 wheeled faired bike (leg kickstand) was on the right side only (as seen in the pic on pg 3, post #24). I have stopped unbalanced and fell over to my left side on more than a few occasions (duh) & didnt damage any of the fairing.
Coroplast is fairly stong stuff and can 'squish' a little.
-Cheers-
-Low-

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The shell on the bike in the pic LR posted could be built fairly easily with the wood bulkhead/stringer method.

You are right Barely, shrinkable plastic is another good alternative. If you remember the Lazair ultralight it was covered with Tedlar, also a clear shrinkable plastic. It was tougher than most. Don't know if its still made. The advantage to even light weight Dacron is its pretty tear resistant and easy to shrink to compound curves, plus finishes nicely.

Have to agree LR has a point about breakage of a super light stringered structure. Hard points could be added at suspected contact points.

I made my daughter a fabric kayak from left over scraps from a resto project. It weighed 12lbs with a hard ply bottom. She still has it though its too small for her now. Is a really pretty wall hanger. Cool thing about this building method is if one works efficiently a shell can be roughed out in a good day once the shape is laid out.

I don't think I would build with less than 1/4" stringers if using Dacron or another highly shrinkable material because of deformation. 1/2" could be used even with out much weight penalty.

Last edited: