Catastrophic failure

GoldenMotor.com

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
So I went for a test ride yesterday afternoon. The area around my house has huge hills, so I need to ride about a mile away to get to some flat land. I expect the ride to last 20-30 minutes. I've done this before with no issues.

Problem #1: 2.5 miles away from home, my muffler end cap falls off
Problem #2: In the course of my rear tire running over the end cap, the rear tire blows
Problem #3: Since I went on a short test ride, I didn't bring any tools or replacement parts with me

Well, I was lucky, someone was home, and after a quick call and 30 minutes of idle waiting, they bring me an inner tube, tire levers, a pair of gloves, a mini pump, and a bottle of water (by this time it was 95 degrees). I replace my inner tube, pump up the tire and attempt to ride back home.

Problem #4: Within 20 feet, my pedal chain snaps.

At this point I'm cursing and hating life. Really hating life. Luckily, I was on top of a small hill so the momentum of riding downhill was enough to get my motor going. I start riding back home and HOPE/PRAY that I don't have to stop again. Otherwise, it would be super difficult to get my motor going again.

Problem #5: In my haste to get going, I forgoet to open the fuel valve, so after getting the engine going, and now on flat land, I had to stop again to open the valve.

To get the engine going again, I had to get on the bike, snuggle up to the sidewalk curb and use my foot to push me forward. After pushing myself a few times, I finally got the motor going again. Thank goodness!

So, I ride for about 1.5 miles. At this point, there is a VERY large hill that I have to overcome to get home. I figured that I would ride up as far as I could, then walk the rest of the way.

Problem #6: About 20% up the hill, my rear tire blows again.

At this point I wanted to take the bike and throw it down a hill. With no way to start it again, I walked the broken bike up the hill in the crazy Southern California heat. I was cursing all the way home. Moral of this story - NEVER leave home without checking bolts for tightness, checking chain, and have the minimum needed tools/parts to get you home.

Luckily I wasn't hurt or something else more serious didn't happen, but I was so freakin done yesterday. SERIOUSLY done.

Well, today is a new day. I ordered a shift kit (finally), puncture resistant tubes/tires, and a new pedal chain. Hopefully it will solve my hill blues and other problems.

This hobby is a MONEY PIT! I could have purchased a nice used Vespa or some other fully built working moped/scooter for the amount of money I've dumped into this.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Man, I feel your pain.:-||

I seriously believe that my bike was trying to kill me.

It has taken me a year to finally get my bike 99% roadworthy, so that I can depend on it to ride an 11-mile round trip to work. The engine is a powerful, dependable 2.8hp Tanaka 47R engine, so no issues on this powerplant.

Most of the time, it's those little things that when left unchecked will bit you in the butt.

Like the nut on the clutch drum that was just about to fall off, if I hadn't pulled the engine that day.....

Or all the oil that leaked outa the gearbox until it was properly sealed and filled with grease.....

Or the throttle guide on the engine that had completely backed out and could jammed the engine at WOT.....

Or the loose nuts on bolts all over the bike.....

Or the rear-mounted tank's mounting brackets that fell off, leaving the tank and new rack hanging by the tight fuel line.....

Or the loose rear axle that almost lost all its ball bearings.....

Or the broken pedal that was about to fall of.....

Or the faulty kill switch.....

Or the restrictive petcock that almost left me stranded.....

Or the loose slip-joint on the exhaust that gave me carbon monoxide poisoning.....

Or the multiple blisters on BOTH legs from riding with shorts.....

Or the MANY MANY chain breakages along the roadside.....

Actually, the cost of repairing and replacing ALL the aforementioned parts amounts to less than ONE visit to the local Vespa dealership for a repair job.

However, my project was frustrating and labor-intensive, until I just recently tamed the beast. The saving grace was that I always knew it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix anything on my MB.

MB's aren't for the average Joe. Ya just GOTTA know how to fix and maintain the darn thing. :-||

And ya gotta just LOVE doing it!dance1

AND you absolutely MUST carry your tools and wear safety gear at all times.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I dont know what you guys are doing to your bikes but when i'm ready to ride I just get on and go and for 40 mile rides with complete confidence nothing will break.

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Wow....sounds like a bad day. Well , if we never have bad days , we wouldnt know what a good day was. I do agree . Motorbikes break and loosen some really weird stuff. I still ride mine to work every day if possible (except rain) . My whole rear rack is one big tool bag. I had to put a basket on the front just to haul stuff. Better luck tomorrow !