Noob seeking help for solid build.

GoldenMotor.com

Bigbrag

May 22, 2011
Montana
Hi guys I built a bike a few years ago and have decided to get back into the hobby. I have been packing my head full of information for the last few days and would like to start ordering parts. I decided I want a 4 stroke and I have been looking at the ezm qmatic. From what I have been reading it sounds like worksman is the way to for rims with some custom sprocket mounts, or the member hear who makes rims for motor bikes.I would love to have a stretch cruiser frame with springer forks. If anyone can recommend me what parts and brands I should be looking for and where to go for the best prices, I would be very aprreciative. I also need to find the right kind of frame and mount for a common honda or gh 4 stroke size engine.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I would go in frame to keep the engine lower. I'm guessing you don't want to engage in a full blown project that requires modifying the frame. For a vintage type of frame the older Schwinn cantilever bikes have a lot of room in the engine compartment and look good. A number of builds here have been done with that frame and that engine/transmission combination. Look up Scotto's black and blue build I think it is for a newer type of frame which is aluminum. It also has lots of room for the engine/tranny. Depends on what you like. I have two Qmatics. One is running with a Greyhound engine on a 53 Schwinn Hornet... there's a recent thread on it you can look up to see how it sits in the cantilever frame. The other bike is a 50 Schwinn Panther with the Hua Sheng honda clone in it and barely fits in that straight bar frame. The cantilever frame has more room and is an easier build. Also, the HS engine is smoother, starts better and is much narrower than the Greyhound, so is more comfortable to ride. I have been away for the winter and used the Greyhound for my winter ride. Just yesterday I took the Panther out for a shakedown ride... started on the first pull after sitting since fall and runs so nicely. I always feel like I'm going to get where I'm going and home again when I ride that bike. That transmission is bulletproof. No, I'm not a dealer, but I'm thinking about it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
SB

Bigbrag

May 22, 2011
Montana
Thanks, I was planning in frame as well. I have heard great things about the hs honda clone and the qmatic transmission. I think the cheapest I have found the combo is for $600 at helio bikes. Does anyone know where I can find it for cheaper? I will take a look at the shwinn cantilever bikes now. Thanks

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the forum Bigbrag,

If you are looking for an EZ my advice would be to purchase from one of the forum members who is a dealer rather than a business with no face. I also have an EZ I got mine from member jbcruisin https://sites.google.com/site/ezmotorbikesoflebanon/ The EZ is solid and well built. The Cantivileir frame would be your best bet for one paired with the HS I used a harbor freight clone and as Silverbear said it was a tight fit. Wheels..sure worksman are the best also look into Husky wheels very close quality wise and alot less in price.

Bigbrag

May 22, 2011
Montana
Thanks a lot guys. That ezm stretch is almost exactly what I'm looking to do. Im trying to decide if I should purchase a micargi mustang gts or if I should just build my own. I have seen some stretch frames on ebay that look identical to the micargi. I figure if i buy the frame, then I can purchase higher quality rims with a sprocket adapter that mounts to the hub, get a wider crank my choice of handle bars etc. Are there any recomended websites that have the same kind of selection ebay has? I wish I new a little more about bike building though, i hate the thought of accidentally purchasing parts that are not compatible with each other. I have heard huffy and worksman rims are good. I still need to know more about cranks, forks etc. Im also wondering if I could use a puma 3.0 gts for this build. It looks very similar. I 'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on ezm motor tranny combo from jbcruisin, I think I have heard enough good things about them that I want to get one.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I would buy a complete bike... It adds up unbearably fast building one piece by piece. Get the bike you like, change the wheels out and do the rest as your budget allows. Here are a couple links for bike info and a company that sells all kinds of bike parts

WWW.bicycletutor.com - excellent bike info how it works together

BicycleDesigner.com sells custom bicycles, bike parts, lowrider bikes, cruiser bicycles, chopper bicycles, and trike parts. - Parts

Bicycle Designer Notes - simple bicycle parts applications - all kinds of notes on their stuff