87cc Maytag 2 Cylinder 2 Stroke Engine

GoldenMotor.com

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
Picked up a this motor on ebay, with plans to attempt to install it on a Moon Dog bicycle in the frame if I can make it fit... I am going to lace a whizzer sheave to the rear wheel. The motor produces 5/8hp at 1600 rpm, I plan to make an expansion chamber for it and possibly a different fuel system.
Here is someone elses install:
YouTube - Maytag Bicycle
*He eliminated the factory coil and is using an accel cdi.
*Dont know what carburetor he is using
*He removed the gas tank, flywheel, and kick start system, but installed a homemade flywheel on the opposite end of the engine

The motor I got has some play in one of the bearings so I will probably tear it down and rebuild it.

Attachments

Last edited:

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
here is more pictures of it mostly stripped down to the size it will be installed as, it is maybe only a couple pounds heavier than a chinese motor. From cyl head to cyl head it is 11.25" & the total length of the crankshaft is 12" but could easily be shortened to 9.75" when the starter end is removed... the height of the crankcase is 4.75", not counting the fuel intake which will be modified or removed.
Look at the tiny exhaust ports on this thing maybe some port work can get 1 hp out of it brnot

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Picked up a this motor on ebay, with plans to attempt to install it on a Moon Dog bicycle in the frame if I can make it fit... I am going to lace a whizzer sheave to the rear wheel. The motor produces 5/8hp at 1600 rpm, I plan to make an expansion chamber for it and possibly a different fuel system.
YouTube - Maytag Bicycle
*He removed the gas tank, flywheel, and kick start system, but installed a homemade flywheel on the opposite end of the engine

The motor I got has some play in one of the bearings so I will probably tear it down and rebuild it.

Whistles the * Twilight Zone * theme......that video is incredible !....." this man finds himself transported back in time....riding a "Maytag Washing Machine "

LOL,
Salty.shft.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You don't get a sense as to how little those things are untill you watch his video. What is it, 10" head to head?

Anyone else notice the BAD runout his back wheel has?!!

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
YouTube - Maytag Bicycle

Porsche lad,

Read my commet (it's by WekendFunTheBiker or go to my channel thats down there V and it will say i posted there) at the vid. That my full opion. V

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
i just picked up 3 model 92 maytags, 2 run and one is all there but has been sitting for years. where did you order parts for them.
Sorry been real busy with college and hope to get back to this project this summer along with my water cooled moped build... Currently the maytag is disassembled and in need of some machine work. I bought my parts from ebay.

Here is a vtwin maytag conversion: Maytag 72 V-Twin - Maytag Engine Collectibles

below is a picture of my moped and of a maytag 92? on a bicycle

Attachments

MikesBikes

Nov 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have a few of these engines (NOT really a hit 'n miss engine) but they seem much heavier than a Chinese engine and not so sure about finding a carb that would allow speed adjustment (they ran at a single speed) or how to set up a clutch. I've thought about making a vintage midget car out of one. Any ideas? Where are the parts available? mikes