News Flash !!! Omgosh !!!

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
President Obama announced today that Auto Companies, those that will still exist by 2016 must have an over all Corporate Car average of a whopping 30mpg.. By 2016. That's right !! A whopping 30 miles per gallon !! Right now.. I am running a Titan in Frame Forward mount using the SG "Scooter Guy " plate and Front Crank Free Wheel kit.. I average 145-185 miles per gallon with the Front Crank Free Wheel kit. That's right... 145-185 miles per gallon. Why the big spread? Well.. Since I can shift gears, I can pull a trailer.. And.. Pull I do.. I load as much as 100 pounds in that trailer. Pulling a trailer lowers my MPG to around 145 or so. Well.. When 2016 gets here. I will be ready for that new 30 mpg requirement !! We MAB "motor assisted bike" riders are still way ahead of our time it seems.. Enjoy the ride !!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Stricter fuel economy requirements are needed, but will take a lot of the fun out of
driving a car. I only commute to work (50 miles round trip) once a week, but could
do it almost daily if fuel goes up too much. Cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've ridden that bike and you guys are gonna love it. It left my Jag in the dust and you could hardly hear it running. The tree huggers should love it too; just think how much fossil fuel Duane is saving and not bothering anyone while he's doing it.
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I am getting 200mpg pulling 100lbs of trailer and grandkids (80% of the time) with my EZM 4stroke kit
no transmission (shifting) means that I am still legally a motor-assisted bicycle as well

just saying that there are other options out there :)

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
A bit of a tangent...but a window into a lawyer's mind (look away now, that's your final warning).

Some state laws (not all states by a long shot) talk about an "automatic" transmission being required for legality. An automatic transmission does not require a person to shift gears, right? So an automatic transmission could be defined as a transmission that does not require gears to be shifted manually. To me, the emphasis is on "require". The fact that you may have more than one gear available does not mean you are "required" to shift gears. Only if you have to shift gears to use it, is manual shifting "required". If you could leave it in one gear and use it, shifting is not required and its automatic.

Now, for a test case.....and sorry, I have a reputation to uphold...let me know how this argument works out. ;)

...and as for the new fuel standards- the concept of fuel economy standards is sound, but CAFE fleet averages as the measurement impinges too greatly upon the freedom of both the vehicle buyer and seller. There are better options...but while those options save as much or more fuel, they do not provide the control over the fleet that CAFE does. Therefore, they are not as desireable for the rule makers.

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
you can interpret it anyway you want :)
I am basing my comment on my own personal experience...
a couple of years ago,azvinnie and myself got a ticket from the local PD
the municipal judge asked specifically if we could shift (I showed him on my bike by pulling the lever cover off),he was very thorough on his checking my ride (I think he was interested:))
he took 4 days of researching and set a local precedent saying we WERE legal motor-assisted bicycles
(a 4 page written decision)
I carry a copy with me in my tool bag :)

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I must say 30 miles per gallon wheweee, Pres; Obama thats quite a challenge he sure is slicker than snot....he..he...

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Here is the scooter guys website.
Sorry you do not need a thats dax engine . The easy engine conversion means almost any engine, but NOT a happytime, may work.

Welcome To My Homepage click the links below to see more

I personally use Pablos peddleable jack-shaft with his hd freewheel.
Even if I ask stupid guesitions Pablo still answers quickly.
Cost is about the same Scooterguy setup versus Sickbike parts for the peddleable jackshaft.

Homemade seatpost mount on a full suspension mountain bike.
I did not like the engine between my legs LOL.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
A bit of a tangent...but a window into a lawyer's mind (look away now, that's your final warning).

Some state laws (not all states by a long shot) talk about an "automatic" transmission being required for legality. An automatic transmission does not require a person to shift gears, right? So an automatic transmission could be defined as a transmission that does not require gears to be shifted manually. To me, the emphasis is on "require". The fact that you may have more than one gear available does not mean you are "required" to shift gears. Only if you have to shift gears to use it, is manual shifting "required". If you could leave it in one gear and use it, shifting is not required and its automatic.

Now, for a test case.....and sorry, I have a reputation to uphold...let me know how this argument works out. ;)

...and as for the new fuel standards- the concept of fuel economy standards is sound, but CAFE fleet averages as the measurement impinges too greatly upon the freedom of both the vehicle buyer and seller. There are better options...but while those options save as much or more fuel, they do not provide the control over the fleet that CAFE does. Therefore, they are not as desireable for the rule makers.
Very good Hugh! The logic being that this is a drive arrangement by where the gear ratios are altered manually while under pedal power as was intended by the manufacturer of the bike: which is, of course, perfectly acceptable. The power from the engine is then applied to the chosen gear ratio until the rider decides to pedal the bike into a more suitable gear and then resume normal engine operation. Problem solved!

Jim

Last edited:

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Very good Hugh! The logic being that this is a drive arrangement by where the gear ratios are altered manually while under pedal power as was intended by the manufacturer of the bike: which is, of course, perfectly acceptable. The power from the engine is then applied to the chosen gear ratio until the rider decides to pedal the bike into a more suitable gear and then resume normal engine operation. Problem solved!

Jim
Jim And Hugh

I'm not a lawyer but the way the law is written here is it has to be automatic, and does not require to be shifted. I thought about the argument about that it does not have to be shifted. You can stay in any gear you want. BUT I don't think that would fly as it has gears to manually shift and therefore is not an automatic. Now if you throw a NuVincie into the equation, You have no GEARS and that in fact should be PROBLEM SOLVED ! No legal argument.....POPS

thescootergy

May 22, 2009
gladstone oregon
lets try that again . walt henry told me there was some talk about my scooter guy drive system over here so i thought i would see whats going on, and share my latest build with you . an electra townie with the 50cc titan from dax . and threaded cranks from sick bike parts . i love the townie . this is my second one i have put together , great ride ,

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2013-1.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2009.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2008.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2005.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2006.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/thescooterguy/townie2001.jpg

as for fuel economy . soon i want to convert one to run on propane . just like the indoor forklifts use .

Last edited: