Ever do this? It makes a difference!

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I do this on all of my HT engines, everyone I've asked said they've never even thought of it! I remove the clutch cable guide by unscrewing it and pump good molly grease down inside the hole, just a few pumps, turn the wheel, more pumps, etc. You don't want to pump too much into one area or it WILL gush out your sprocket side as well as get under the friction plate in the clutch, greasing the pads, making your clutch slip! So, pump, and then screw the guide down and it makes the whole clutch assembly roll smoother. Not many people think to do it, but it does work! At least for me!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
When I get a new engine, I always disassemble it so I can make sure everything's in good order and will replace sub-standard parts. I also slather the clutch-axle (and spring) with common bearing-axle grease. Works great. That portal is meant to allow greasing access AND access to the spring tensioning nut. Adjusting it affects resting clutch-plate pressure.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
When I get a new engine, I always disassemble it so I can make sure everything's in good order and will replace sub-standard parts. I also slather the clutch-axle (and spring) with common bearing-axle grease. Works great. That portal is meant to allow greasing access AND access to the spring tensioning nut. Adjusting it affects resting clutch-plate pressure.
I knew the hole went all the way through to the crankcase but didn't know it had a purpose, THANKS Kioshc.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I never use the clutch cable guide because I make my own but I usually plug the hole with a grease fitting because I have a bunch of stainless ones that polish up nicely. I've used it to squirt a few pumps of grease in occasionally.
In case you haven't tried it, a grease fitting with a 1/4 pipe thread will screw right in to the hole the original guide goes. It is a 10mm machine thread but the 1/4 pipe thread will work just fine for a grease (Zirk) fitting.

Tom