Break in secrets

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Hey, no problem. I am glad to help out. I buy those bottles specifically for the ratio cup. I have a two gallon tank. I ride right up to the pump, measure my oil, pour it in and pump my gas. no muss, no fuss. the way I like it.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thats how I do it. I have a little bottle in either my pants or my bag that have enough oil for 2-3 tanks and when the tank is almost empty I pour in the oil and premium gas and keep driving :) But now to break it in I want to be sure I have the right ratio.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
haha I know it have to be 2-stroke :) Im pretty good with engines but since I dont have too much experience (except Yamaha Outboards 10 years ago) I rather ask than messing something up. Thank you

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
they also sell little bottles of pre measured 2 stroke at ace hardware and places like that and it says on the front what the mix is usualy its 40:1 for a gallon but if you put it in a half gallon tank it will be 20:1 i have one in my bag just in case its pocket sized

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Holy sh*t. I just measured the oil for a 25:1 ratio for the break in and I realized that all this time I probably drove the engine with something around 100:1 or 90:1 and I have never had any problems. Question: Do your engines smoke from the oil? Because mine never did unless I didnt drove it for a couple of days in the first minute.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
This is the way I've been doing my break ins for years. The most important part of breaking in a new motor is seating the rings. The best part is there's no need to put a non synthetic oil in your motor.
I spray WD-40 in my new motor/cylinder then run it hard right out of the box.
This will instantly seat the rings. However I only use high quality oil in my motors. (Bel Ray HR1).
Bam!! Your motor is race ready in 2 minutes!

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
maybe if it dries out but i have never seen wd40 drying haha. it was just for the first couple turns of the engine. i rather have some wd40 on it than a dry piston in the cylinder. i usually use regular oil for that but this time i used wd40 because i already cleaned the cylinder with it anyways.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Friction and heat are what causes wd40 to dry and bind. it also reduces the lubricity of your oil and prevents oil film from building up on your cylinder (you WANT oil film on your cylinder).

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've done this to more than 10 high end motors and after I've taken the the cylinders off, there's always been an oil film on the cylinder walls. All the wd40 does is help seat the rings. It's an old racer's trick. I use grease for all my bearings and seals. A lot of how your motor last and performs is what kind of gas and oil you use.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The wd would be gone in the first few seconds of running, it's not going to hurt anything, lock anything up, or dry anything out.